failed my exam

9/2/2009 2:30:16 PM
hi got my step1 results today,failed...having a very hard time,dont know what i should do next...can anyone guide me regarding how to study,what r my chances of getting a residency in psychiatry,dont have any work experience also...going through lot of other problems also...totally clueless...please give me some advice...

9/2/2009 4:29:12 PM
Hi ss, i totally relate to you because i failed step 1 last year, i also understand the pressure and other problems u may have and im not gonna lie I was really sad for the next 3 or 4 days...but i was pregnant by then n just decided to worry about my baby (who was coming pretty soon, 2 mo later).

I always knew that i was gonna try again but after the baby stuff u know, so i started "grabbing the books" in november (when my son was 5 mo old, i also was a full-time student in a junior college until may 09 because of my status-F1 visa) but in january i said to myself: "stop procrastinating" and began my study plan, i've been studying now for 8 mo and i already finish my readings and all that, now im in my 2nd wk of UW, getting ready to take the test in sept 26 but im gonna postpone it to october (one more month) so im redy to ACE IT!!!

the important thing here is to have confidence in yourself because I KNOW YOU R GONNA MAKE IT, YOU R A DOCTOR! im sure...so dont try again, just "DO IT" n when u decide to start studying again, do it with commitment n dont stop till u know u r ready to ace it, take ur time n make sure u r gonna get a 95!!!

if u need something just let me know!
Smile and God Bless, remember u r not alone! Big Grin

9/2/2009 6:22:12 PM
Well, first of all, take a couple of days off. Go for a walk, talk to people, eat ice cream, and cry if needed to. Next, get yourself together and tell yourself: " I will work even harder this time, and I WILL PASS this test!" Look at your report scan bar, see what subjects were the weakest. Those will be the first subjects you need to strength first. Do UW questions again, but this time, don't take short cuts! After each question, even if you answered it correctly, read the explanation, and write the main points down into your FA book. It takes some time, but no rush. This time you need to know your stuff cold. Listen to Goljian audios at least ones. Read Rapid review Physio, Path and Biochem (this is your choice though). Read FA with your added notes at least three times, and make sure to read all tutorials on Webpath. Do all NBME tests (1-6) offline. WHy offline? Because you can see the questions again, and look for the answers in your books. I know it is time consuming, but you WILL know most of what you need to know for Step1.
Do not despair! Study hard! I have been there, it is awful feeling, but you can do it, and WILL do it!
Only those people who never failed in their life and those with the cold hearts will read your post with the smile on the face... It's Ok. We are all even when we apply for the residency. Scores do matter, but there are other factors as LORs, experience in US, research, publications and inteview itself matter a lot.
Get strong! Study hard, and you will reach your goal!

9/3/2009 11:02:35 AM
hi everyone thank you so much,i have somehow lost the confidence that i can do it...i will take some time..can u people tell me how to study this time...how many months later should i give the exam?and is there any thing like they will cut 5 marks in our report for losing an attempt...

9/4/2009 2:30:31 PM
Hi doctor mama! I am amazed by you and your strength when replying to SS I'm also studying for step one for the second time and I want to say thank you because all you said to her I applied to myself!!!
I see every one talking about goljan audios but I don't know where should I go find them, do you have any advise? thank u and good luck with residency!
edited by rudxandra on 9/4/2009

9/6/2009 3:32:49 PM
hi ss or anyone else,

if you are or know of a female living in west coast time, please let me know as i have to study again for this exam. i would like to study on skype. also i mostly want to do non kaplan stuff. thanks.

9/7/2009 1:29:10 PM
hi thank you all...its really consoling to know im not alone...i will do my best...will start studying tomo itself..

9/7/2009 1:32:48 PM
hi mqa im a female but sorry from india,so i wont be able to do combined study...when ru planning to take the exam?please give me ur mail id lets keep in touch...can discuss doubts and also support and help eachother if you dont mind...

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK