Quick tips to work up any E.R. case

11/13/2016 2:12:36 PM
Simply memorizing all the uworld cases will get you in trouble. You need a "mental map" in your mind so that unfamiliar cases do not throw you off. Here is something I have used which may help others with E.R cases.

- Is the Pt. Stable or unstable. This determines if you go directly to your order sheet or if you do a quick Physical exam. Also unstable patients need to be managed very quickly. Try and keep the simulated time down to an hour. This is important because the ccs exam grades how long it takes you to stabilize patients.

- Orders. Life saving first. (I.V. access, Ekg, c-xray, I.V. fluids, morphine, Oxygen, Cardiac/BP monitor) After these you can order anything else. (CBC, BMP, UA, LFT, PT/PTT, INR, Antibiotics, Imaging)

-Physical exam- Keep E.R. exams system specific. The more exams you do the more simulated time you will loose. You can always go back and do a more through exam if needed.

-Consults. Make sure to order appropriate consults. You must do this before ordering a procedure. Ie.. Consult cardiothoraic surgery before ordering aortic dissection repair.

-Meds/treatments- It is a very good idea to know system based antibiotics treatments. I.E the most common abx. for chest infections, abdominal infections, systemic infections. Also make a list of possible drugs/treatments that are system based.

-Admit orders- After the patient is stabilized in the E.R they should me moved to the ICU or Ward and be given orders for bed rest, DIET/NPO, pneumatic compression stockings. These are basic orders everyone should get. Add other orders accordingly.

-Counsel- Contrary to some posts, counseling is considered important on this test and every patient should be counseled. You can always make suggestions such as no alcohol, no smoking, wear seal belt while driving.

If you need any help or advice for this exam, feel free to send me an email.

2/8/2017 1:00:52 PM

2/8/2017 4:24:53 PM
Do you happen to have a more comprehensive list of things written for certain very common cases, Im sorry if this sounds like a noob question but I have no idea where I should learn the basics of the CCS component any advice on materials apart from Uworld of course.

2/21/2017 2:34:47 PM
RummanSyed wrote:
Do you happen to have a more comprehensive list of things written for certain very common cases, Im sorry if this sounds like a noob question but I have no idea where I should learn the basics of the CCS component any advice on materials apart from Uworld of course.

Shoot me an email. We can talk further [email protected]

12/25/2017 8:34:36 PM

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK