Why people fail step 3
11/20/2016 11:25:36 AM
As a step 3 tutor I have seen more and more people fail this exam and I would like to share some of the reasons so that others don't make the same mistakes.

1. Overconfidence- People assume that this exam is very easy and can pass with little studying. This is furthest from the truth especially when it comes to the CCS component.

2. Lack of preparation- Similar to point 1, It is important to go through the material 2-3 times, just as you did for other steps. One read through of the MCQ's is not enough.

3. Poor understanding of CCS- This is something I have seen people struggle with. There is an assumption that if you have clinical/residency experience that you can walk through the cases. Unfortunately your training and education varies based on hospital and location. The usmle has a set standard of how cases have to be worked up. If you are not following that standard then you will do poorly on the ccs component which can cause failures. The CCS component requires strategy. There is a certain "order of operation" in which things are done. If not, then you will loose points.

4. Using too many study resources- Reading multiple books and doing multiple Qbanks does not mean a higher score. It is better to know a few resources very well than to know allot of resources marginally. My tip is to stick to uworld and MTB but know those two resources extremely well.

If you need any help or tips for this test feel free to message me at ababra08@gmail.com
edited by on 1/4/2017

2/8/2017 12:59:43 PM

2/19/2017 11:24:02 AM
AmBa69522493 wrote:
As a step 3 tutor I have seen more and more people fail this exam and I would like to share some of the reasons so that others don't make the same mistakes.

1. Overconfidence- People assume that this exam is very easy and can pass with little studying. This is furthest from the truth especially when it comes to the CCS component.

2. Lack of preparation- Similar to point 1, It is important to go through the material 2-3 times, just as you did for other steps. One read through of the MCQ's is not enough.

3. Poor understanding of CCS- This is something I have seen people struggle with. There is an assumption that if you have clinical/residency experience that you can walk through the cases. Unfortunately your training and education varies based on hospital and location. The usmle has a set standard of how cases have to be worked up. If you are not following that standard then you will do poorly on the ccs component which can cause failures. The CCS component requires strategy. There is a certain "order of operation" in which things are done. If not, then you will loose points.

4. Using too many study resources- Reading multiple books and doing multiple Qbanks does not mean a higher score. It is better to know a few resources very well than to know allot of resources marginally. My tip is to stick to uworld and MTB but know those two resources extremely well.

If you need any help or tips for this test feel free to message me at ababra08@gmail.com
edited by on 1/4/2017

2/19/2017 11:24:27 AM
thanks for the guide

4/1/2017 8:14:57 AM
what is the best approach for the CCS? Thank you

5/2/2017 7:48:09 PM
Hi. What grade should I finish the uworld to feel comfortable. I will be taking the test on June 4. And right now I have a 61% after 600 questions. I already read MTB and did kaplan qbank. Any advise will be appreciated.

5/3/2017 7:18:29 PM
Thank you very much

5/4/2017 4:34:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I just failed this test and I have noticed that it is really hard to study while being a first year resident. I wasn't able to read MTB more than once because I was always tired due to staying late at the hospital working with my cases and I was only able to review 11 blocks twice. The CCS part is the most ambiguous part, because I feel there isn't enough time to follow all the steps in order and the myth that you pass if the patient is doing better seems to be a long shot. Right now I am going to finish my first year and after that I am going to have to take a leave of absence since I will not be able to start 2nd year without this test. I really sucks that all my future plans will be delayed but I have to keep fighting to stay and finish.

5/4/2017 4:36:40 PM
Any advice on how to pass this test and how to deal with the CCS?

pages: 1

|