What to actually MEMORIZE

8/9/2018 4:32:32 PM
Hello,
I understand the NCLEX-RN is fairly comprehensive so memorizing everything is out of the question. What fundamentals do you recommend memorizing?

My current list is as follows:
-lab values
-APGAR
-GCS
-Room precautions
-pharm: classification of antibiotics/SSRI/MAOI/1st&2nd gen antipsychotics/insulin info/antidotes
-Cranial Nerves

Any other suggestions?

8/9/2018 10:21:32 PM
I actually had none of those come up on my exam when I took it. I went up to 75, so I’m not sure if that it why I didn’t get any. I had all of maybe 2 or 3 pharm questions that were very simple. I would say do not worry about “memorizing” anything because that will not help you on the exam because you will be so anxious everything will go right out of your memory. What I do recommend is reading each rationale no matter if you got the question right or wrong and notating certain things you may not understand and look it up in a textbook.

8/9/2018 10:41:13 PM
I am taking my exam next week, but others who have taken it in the last couple weeks did end up with some Cranial Nerve questions. It's hard to say because it's adaptive and finds your weakness. No two tests sound the same, one person with only two pharm questions, another had a ton of pharm. One person who had a ton of Maternity and OB, someone else with mostly Community health, priority/delegation. I guess my point is they all said majority of the test was their weak area. So my advice is go over the things you know you are weakest at and try to master it. For me Maternity was a weak area so I worked on that for two weeks. Someone who took it today said Fundamentals and Pharm was most of their Exam, but it doesn't sound like they got to the harder questions.

Since you specifically asked about fundamentals, Trach care is a good one to go over and medical diets (low residue diet, Clears, Full Liquid, etc.) .

But definitely go over Beta Blocker Drugs and Calcium Channel Blockers, any interactions that can cause hypotension. TB. Sepsis and Shock is also something you should refresh on. Good luck!

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK