QID 14 in Biostatistics Subject Review

7/25/2012 12:23:39 PM
According to the explanation given for this question, population attributable risk percent (PAR%) is defined as: (Incidence in exposed population - incidence in whole population)/(Incidence in exposed population). I don't follow the logic here. If PAR is attributable risk as its applied to whole population, shouldn't it also follow the same pattern as (exposed - non-exposed)? I've checked this information over several web sites and they all define PAR as: (Incidence in whole population - incidence in unexposed population) and PAR% as PAR/Incidence in whole population. Can anyone else confirm this?

7/25/2012 7:38:50 PM
The ARP is used to see what % of the disease is due to a some risk factor, and the formula to be used in this kind of questions is ARP=(RR-1)/RR. Good Luck

7/26/2012 8:24:54 AM
That's true for AR%, but what I had written was about population AR (PAR).

1/14/2016 2:08:06 AM
I believe the answer provided in Biostat Review for this question is completely wrong. Since a similar question in the Step3 Qbank addresses Population attributable Risk percent, and it uses a different formula compare to this one, and would have given a different answer.

7/28/2016 9:53:01 PM
If we're talking about QID 14 under attributable risk, I also think it's wrong. Unless I'm just being dumb here, I calculated the RR as 2. Which means 2-1/2=0.5 so 50%. I'm doing RR as (a/a+b)/(c/c+d) and I keep getting 2, so if someone could explain how I'm messing up, or confirm that the answer is wrong, so I can move on in peace.

8/17/2016 8:47:56 PM
I got hung up for a long time on this question, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's confused by it. It actually made me waste a lot of time changing in my head how I thought PAR% questions were done... then changing it back once I did more research.

It seems they simply substituted Incidence(unexposed) for I(population) and treated the question like a normal attributable risk % question, giving them .5-.4/.5=.2 I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something on when to use the PAR% equation, because as far as I can tell there's no reason not to use PAR% for this question. I emailed my biostats professor to see what he'll say about it.

I believe it's asking for PAR%, which should be It-Iu/It
That gives me .4-.25/.4 = .375
PAR = 37.5%
edited by on 8/17/2016

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK