need advice old medical graduate

9/6/2012 9:44:55 AM
hi,i graduated 10yrs back with absolute no work experience..........i am seriously considering to give my usmles and get into residency..........but all my friends are discouraging that it wont work.can u guys give me some advice what o do?

9/7/2012 10:39:48 AM
nothing impossible
believe in it,go for it
all the best my friend

9/7/2012 1:36:02 PM
im in same boat. i graduated 6 yrs back no medical/clinical experience since.my biggest fear am i able to get into residency?
but if you feel strongly you want this and can do i would say just go for it.

9/7/2012 7:03:43 PM
There are many people including myself in similar situations. Staying true to your course despite the odds is a difficult choice.
This is how I look at it. The longer you wait, the more obstacles you face. Start now, stay focused, and don't give up. Its not going to be easy. You do your best in what you have control over, which is your exams. Once you get through your steps you will have to compete with the rest of them that is true, but by then you can work to make yourself more desirable to colleges, by finding opportunities, making contacts in the colleges, and getting some recent clinical skills/research/work.
Its about knowing what you have to face, acknowledging it, and pursuing your goal with both eyes open. There will always be people who discourage you, because it is hard. Even still, people get into residency all the time that face the same odds. We can do it too.

Don't know if this applies, but maybe its helpful?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8ngYakqTtQ
edited by CaliDoc on 9/7/2012

hth
edited by CaliDoc on 9/8/2012

2/12/2013 1:50:27 PM
selinalee wrote:
im in same boat. i graduated 6 yrs back no medical/clinical experience since.my biggest fear am i able to get into residency?
but if you feel strongly you want this and can do i would say just go for it.

I'm in a worseplace. I'm an IMG graduated in 1986, worked as ObGyn for 15 years before coming to US to do a postdoc at UPenn. After 5 years of postdoc decided to stay for family reasons. Tried steps1/2ck and cs 7 years ago, passed CS and failed steps 1/2ck. Got depressed and I've been working with research at UPenn since then. My CS
test will expire 9/13, should I give it a try and do step 1/2ck again????Please advise...is 7 months enough to prepare for both?????I read UWorld once and average score is 40%... Please help I am really depressed

2/12/2013 1:53:51 PM
you need to get 2013 first aid and do uworld also. your scores will come up, but it depends on how hard you want to work. 7 months is enough for both exams, but you're going to be doing nothing but studying. no life. no friends. no family really. you have to study like 10 hours a day. it's possible. anything is possible buddy. ck is easier to study for than part 1. just have faith and start studying hard. 6 days a week.

2/12/2013 6:51:10 PM
Thank you so much for your support! I need to believe I can do it and come up
with a plan to add the study to my full time job....I wish I could only study.....

2/12/2013 6:55:20 PM
do you work 7 days a week? do you have children? wife/husband? what is your situation..you can make a study plan around anything really. but you need to take advantage of your time. i don't know how many sick days you have, but you may want to save them up for a few weeks before the test or let your employer know that you are going to be taking this test just to give them a heads up on how busy you will be on some days.
have you bought First Aid 2013 yet? 2011, and 2012 will suffice also if you know anyone who is selling their used one.

2/13/2013 5:05:03 PM
i am really impressed the way you motivated.i am also a old graduate and now trying to start studying for usmle ,i am using 2009 fA and q banks.is it ok? where can i find 2013 first aid.will you suggest me some study plan.i am totally confused.thank u

2/13/2013 8:02:17 PM
you need to get the 2012 first aid friend and you need to get the 2012 part 1 kaplan books. there is no 2013 kaplan books yet. maybe next year. understand?

2/13/2013 8:12:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. Where can I get 2012 Kaplan books ? Kaplan books=Kaplan lecture notes right? Thank u again

5/11/2015 10:24:12 AM
I graduated 20 years ago though i have been in active clinical practice since then with no break....i strongly feel that i should sit usmle but as usual, hearing a lot about five years since graduation cut off....what should I do ? Do i stand a chance ? should I go ahead ?

5/15/2015 3:53:36 PM
any one who discourages you is not your friend, dump them. I'm in worse boat, still have 2 more years of med school, been out for a few years, but am studying again, yes it is difficult and I am always broke, hoping the school won't give me hard time, but I am still studying,. misery loves company, so find people who are positive, starting with God.

take care,

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK