IMG... Step 1 score 232...HELP!!!

10/9/2013 10:45:07 AM
Hy everyone, i am an IMG and just received my score of 232. got two questions.
What score would it be on a two digit scale? Just to understand it...
And, given the fact that i am an IMG and my score is an average one (is it?), what are my odds for neurology, psychiatry and neurosurgery?

Thank u for any answer u can give me!!

10/9/2013 1:07:21 PM
That's a good score.. u will be fine!

I would like to get a score like yours.!

Can u share some advice about you experience?
Currently im doing pathoma with FA and questions.!
I took nbme month ago but I don't pass , I was frustrated.

10/9/2013 2:18:29 PM
Hey! thanks for your answer!
I did plenty of books (goljan pathology, mmrs, highyields, brs) in my first 3 and 1/2 months. Always with UWorld and first aid
once i finished reading everything for the first time, i read first aid again.
took NBME 15 (cbsa 430, that was like 200 on usmle step1) and 4 days prior to my exam Nbme 13 (230) so i knew i was on a good path. MY adivse is first aid, and UWorld. Dont know about Pathoma... Goljan was crazy good, but its long...

10/9/2013 6:27:42 PM
congrats, very good score,.
can you plz plz tell me, if someone does only FA and UW in the last 2 months, after doing all other books before, then will it cover most of the exam?? i mean FA and uw??

kindly reply.

10/18/2013 6:50:37 PM
Tottaly! If i were u, i´d try to read first aid 2 times in those 2 months algon with uworld all the time! Great idea!!

10/19/2013 1:17:56 AM
Hi, I'm an IMG. I have 8 more weeks before my step 1. I've done FA once. Still working on UW (750Qs left). My question is if it's essential to study Goljan (I've never done it) or if I can/should just focus on FA + UW.
Also, what is everyone's average score on UW before taking the exam (all timed, mixed)? Mine currently ranges between 65 and 70%.
Thanks very much!
edited by on 10/19/2013

11/7/2013 7:20:08 AM
TaDo12997515 wrote:
Hi, I'm an IMG. I have 8 more weeks before my step 1. I've done FA once. Still working on UW (750Qs left). My question is if it's essential to study Goljan (I've never done it) or if I can/should just focus on FA + UW.
Also, what is everyone's average score on UW before taking the exam (all timed, mixed)? Mine currently ranges between 65 and 70%.
Thanks very much!
edited by on 10/19/2013

I don't think anything more is needed other thn FA and UW in the 2 months remaining.. As for me, i read kaplan once and then only studied FA and UW.. And thank God got 239. I don't think the problem in the exam is that u have to know more info than first aid... But to think, deduce and link information.. That's my opinion. And Good luck.
NB sleep well before exam pleez. I didn't sleep at all and was so slow in thinking and processing.

11/11/2013 8:34:22 AM
kindly more suggestions on preparations ,and how to be consistent in studying for it
thank you

11/12/2013 10:21:41 AM
[quote=d7575]kindly more suggestions on preparations ,and how to be consistent in studying for it
thank you[/q

i'll tell you what were the hardest in the exam (from my perspective) so that u can prepare it more efficiently:
-Behavioural medicine and biostatistics (cases not mentioned in kaplan, first aid or UW.. i think one should understand the big aim or objectives of behavioural medicine as a whole to be able to answer the exam questions correcly)
- side effects of drugs all.. so many questions on this subject
- around 70% of the questions needed info that was not directly mentioned in our books.. think think think.. when u reach two most probable answers, don't waste much time guessing.. u'll need time more for doing the calculations or retrieving the info u already know in other questions.
Good luck.

11/12/2013 10:24:30 AM
[quote=haidyadel][quote=d7575]kindly more suggestions on preparations ,and how to be consistent in studying for it
thank you[/q

i'll tell you what were the hardest in the exam (from my perspective) so that u can prepare it more efficiently:
-Behavioural medicine and biostatistics (cases not mentioned in kaplan, first aid or UW.. i think one should understand the big aim or objectives of behavioural medicine as a whole to be able to answer the exam questions correcly)
- side effects of drugs all.. so many questions on this subject
- around 70% of the questions needed info that was not directly mentioned in our books.. think think think.. when u reach two most probable answers, don't waste much time guessing.. u'll need time more for doing the calculations or retrieving the info u already know in other questions.
- neuroanatomy images.. very important and very frequent

Good luck.[/quote]

11/12/2013 3:38:34 PM
[email protected] wrote:
And, given the fact that i am an IMG and my score is an average one (is it?), what are my odds for neurology, psychiatry and neurosurgery?

edited by on 11/13/2013

11/12/2013 3:43:15 PM
[email protected] wrote:

If you require visa then your chances are low for getting matched for any residency with this score.I have a score of 239 in step 1 and has got only 2 interviews this year by now and also i am a recent graduate and have good scores in step 2 and step 3.It is getting difficult for matching as there are more AMGs now.Its a very depressing situation.Anyway good luck

11/13/2013 7:20:16 AM
Ouch, that hurt. I Do require a VISA, can i ask you for your email or any other media so we can chat to ask you some questiones? It would really be useful for me since i havent got a clear idea of how the picture is over there.
Thank you!

11/13/2013 9:39:30 AM
[email protected] wrote:
Ouch, that hurt. I Do require a VISA, can i ask you for your email or any other media so we can chat to ask you some questiones? It would really be useful for me since i havent got a clear idea of how the picture is over there.
Thank you!

11/13/2013 10:16:29 AM
Gopu wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Thank you!

I would like to address every IMG who are in the process of USMLE or thinking to take USMLE through this post.I hope if i had such an illustration of the real picture here,i would probably not thought of wasting my 2 years in life and tons of money and now standing no-where after all these efforts.The references which we have through other friends or seniors who eventually made their way to residency, is OLD. In US things are changed a lot from last year or 2 years before when i was planning for USMLE.Those who are in the process of USMLE can go forward and try their LUCK.Others who are only planning for it and DONOT have VISA,i recommend to strongly think about it.The situation is getting worse for IMGs.There are 25000 imgs applying each year and 5000 match (according to 2011 data).In those 5000,i am now sure that atleast 30% have green cards and another 20% has made it through their connections. The number of AMGs has increased this year because of increase in D.O candidates in US and also Caribbean IMGs who are basically US citizen.so now the slot has shrunk to 3500 spots for IMGs this year and will be around 3000 next year.A guy who had all steps taken with step 1 score of 250 and step 2 score of 271 has taken prematch for IM in one of the worst programs in US,itself tells the magnitude of the problem.so take US residency as a LOTTERY and also plan about what you are going to do if you don't match in advance.
edited by on 11/13/2013

8/14/2014 11:00:01 PM
thecz wrote:
non US CITIZENS should always be excluded from the match.

US TAXPAYER DOLLARS fund the residencies, only US CITIZENS should get em. THATS what goes down in a few yrs!

We try to leave you alone! But unfortunately you guys need teachers in here!

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK