Dreams to Nightmares-Low Scr Beyond disappointment

7/16/2014 1:56:33 PM
I was stricken today with my Step1 score. After months of sweat, blood, and tears, I disappointed my family, mentors, and myself with a score of 201! This is beyond failure to me comparing to my OUTSTANDING success throughout my academic life up to this point!!!

What matters now is do I even have a chance to match for residency in general surgery? To add insult to injury, I am an IMG from a middle-eastern med school.

On the plus side, I had 12 months of clinical internship in the middle-east, and I’ve been a clinical research fellow in a highly regarded institution in the US. So far, I have 2 publications with more coming on the way. I also had the opportunity to present one of the abstracts in a surgical meeting of a highly regarded organization in the US. I know I will get a strong LoR from the chair of my department (which is my mentor) and at least one of the other consultants.

I am currently preparing for step2 CK as I was planning to take it sometime in Sep/Oct. Could a high score in step2 CK hide the shame of my step1 score? Should I take more time preparing for step2 CK and maybe postpone it for few months? Or are my dreams are down the drain already?

I (almost) lost hope and seriously thinking of dramatically changing my plans and switching to another country!

Thank you in advance and wish you all the best

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK