Failed step 1 -169 (low!) need a big jump >225

7/21/2014 5:26:59 PM
Hello...
I'm an IMG. Graduated 1.5 year ago.

I recently took the step 1 and failed..
I started thinking of giving up my dream and going back to Europe. I miss practicing and hospital so much
I'm crushed and upset. Trying to be strong and hopeful but I have a lot of weak moments.
It's been 2 weeks since I found out. I'm going to get back to study. I can't study more than 4-5 days a week due to my job.

I know what went wrong... I didn't finish the question bank. I didn't do any self assessment. I didn't read patho, skipped anatomy, big part of pharmacology and I sucked in statistics.

I also now the tests are a big issue which I'm going to improve.
My plan now is at least 4 hours tests a day, Goljan, kaplan videos (I think I need to review my basic knowledge) and an assessment exam every week or two weeks.

I know that the only chance for me in order to get into residency is to kill the second time.
I will take 6 months to prepare and look where I stand.

I know it's probably almost impossible to jump 50-60 points but I know I lacked some knowledge and I know I can fix it.
I would really appreciate any positive thoughts and advices!

Best regards, Agi

7/23/2014 4:35:58 PM
Hello...
I'm IMG too. I just read your post. I can't exactly fell how you are right now. However, It's a good thing that you are willing to do it again, and this time you are willing to adopt a new study strategy in order to pass and that is a good start. Try to don't fell sorry of yourself all the time, I know it would be easy but when you start to study again, barely you gonna find time to fell depressed. In my case I've learned something doing USMLE staff, for example: It's a bad idea to get overwhelmed of material to study. There is a lot of material available to do those many step, my advice is try to figure out what are you going to need really, choose few basic book and attach to them at the end. of course don't forget to buy qbanks.
Other suggestion is try to find a student partner to do this with you, in terms of sharing knowledge, experience and some backup in this new process that you are gonna start. Finally, let me tell you that I really admire you for doing it again, I also admire you for learning from your old mistakes, that says you are so brave. Cheer up!!! and the best of the luck this time

7/25/2014 4:51:22 PM
agi1987 wrote:
Hello...

I started thinking of giving up my dream and going back to Europe. I miss practicing and hospital so much
I'm crushed and upset. Trying to be strong and hopeful but I have a lot of weak moments.
It's been 2 weeks since I found out. I'm going to get back to study. I can't study more than 4-5 days a week due to my job.

I know what went wrong... I didn't finish the question bank. I didn't do any self assessment. I didn't read patho, skipped anatomy, big part of pharmacology and I sucked in statistics.

My plan now is at least 4 hours tests a day, Goljan, kaplan videos (I think I need to review my basic knowledge) and an assessment exam every week or two weeks.

I know that the only chance for me in order to get into residency is to kill the second time.

I know it's probably almost impossible to jump 50-60 points but I know I lacked some knowledge and I know I can fix it.

Best regards, Agi

hello there ! i am exactly in your shoes ( step score , yrs of grad , img ). I know my mistakes now which is that i rushed . belive me i didnt have a teardrop after i saw my score because i know that it was my responsibility and i couldnt do anything for that BUT I CAN DO EVERYTHING FOR THE NEXT TIME . I can say just have faith , dont give up on your dream and the most important set a goal and learn from mistakes! good luck for the next time.

7/29/2014 5:56:18 AM
agi1987 wrote:
Hello...

Best regards, Agi

7/29/2014 5:59:23 AM
If you didn't do all those things and you got 169 I have no doubt that you will raise your score much higher than your goal next time.

good luck
edited by on 7/29/2014

7/30/2014 2:42:58 PM
will123 wrote:
If you didn't do all those things and you got 169 I have no doubt that you will raise your score much higher than your goal next time.

good luck
edited by on 7/29/2014

Thank you so much. I hope this time I can kill it.
I am a little discouraged (especially after watchin some Kaplan videos with Conrad Fischer who "indirectly" said if you fail - you're done) but I will definitely try again.

I started and will not finish unless I know there is no chance at all.

Thank you again.

7/30/2014 2:45:05 PM
hello there ! i am exactly in your shoes ( step score , yrs of grad , img ). I know my mistakes now which is that i rushed . belive me i didnt have a teardrop after i saw my score because i know that it was my responsibility and i couldnt do anything for that BUT I CAN DO EVERYTHING FOR THE NEXT TIME . I can say just have faith , dont give up on your dream and the most important set a goal and learn from mistakes! good luck for the next time.[/quote]

Thanks, thanks, thanks!
It's always nice to know I'm not the only one... It's not that I want people to fail (obviously), it'd just I can feel your energy, you're so hopeful.

Yes, this is definitely my responsibility. I messed it up and rushed.

Will try again... Decided not to think of my chances. Just do this again and we will see what happens...

Godd luck!

7/30/2014 2:45:50 PM
Veroafq9 wrote:
Hello...
I'm IMG too. I just read your post. I can't exactly fell how you are right now. However, It's a good thing that you are willing to do it again, and this time you are willing to adopt a new study strategy in order to pass and that is a good start. Try to don't fell sorry of yourself all the time, I know it would be easy but when you start to study again, barely you gonna find time to fell depressed. In my case I've learned something doing USMLE staff, for example: It's a bad idea to get overwhelmed of material to study. There is a lot of material available to do those many step, my advice is try to figure out what are you going to need really, choose few basic book and attach to them at the end. of course don't forget to buy qbanks.
Other suggestion is try to find a student partner to do this with you, in terms of sharing knowledge, experience and some backup in this new process that you are gonna start. Finally, let me tell you that I really admire you for doing it again, I also admire you for learning from your old mistakes, that says you are so brave. Cheer up!!! and the best of the luck this time

Thank you for your valuable advise!
I really appreciate it!

7/30/2014 6:30:18 PM
agi1987 wrote:
Hello...
I'm an IMG. Graduated 1.5 year ago.hi i am preparing for my exam and i have two months..........can we study together

Best regards, Agi

8/1/2014 5:55:44 AM
Hello Agi,

I just read your post. I just want to tell you that When life knocks you down, try to land on your back. Because if you can look up, you can get up.

You know your potential, try to work hard and give your 200% in your preparation for step 1.

All The Best

Best regards
Dr Adeleke
edited by ftplectures on 8/1/2014

8/15/2014 2:52:10 PM
Husam1986 wrote:
I have good very good experience with the steps, scored in the 260s in both.
I want to teach using skype if anyone is interested anywhere.

Send me a message in here first and we will go from there. Also if someone is interested in improving the language proficiency I am willing to help win that as well.

9/11/2014 7:05:34 PM
Hai Husam,I am an old IMG planning to start my step1 preparation,need advice like how to start,which books to follow etc,plz reply asap.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK