My journey of STEP 1 to 243- OLD IMG and MOM

7/12/2015 3:25:40 PM
Hi All,
This post is to share my experience in preparing for Step 1 especially old IMG`s and moms. I have been following this forum for a long time, extremely benefitted from various experiences.
My YOG is 2007.
First of all the exam is doable and don't get scared about it anytime.
Preparation time- 5 months
sources- Kaplan lecture notes, Uworld , FA, pathoma and BRS behavioral sciences......nothing else.
Anatomy- Uworld and FA (neuro from Kaplan)
Physiology- Uworld and FA
Biochemistry- Uworld, FA, Kaplan notes and videos
Micro- Kaplan notes and videos (excellent),Uworld and FA
Patho- ONLY PATHOMA (EXCELLENT)
Pharma- uworld and FA
BS- was tough for me, used Uworld, FA and BRS (was very weak in ethics)
NBME scores- my highest score was 240 in NBME 17 , 3 weeks before exam, predictive of my actual score.
other 3 NBME scores in 230`s. 1 week before exam in NBME 15, got 232,was scary and disappointing. my advice is don't take any NBME s in last two weeks of exam, do it ahead at least 3 weeks before.
UWSA 1 - 235
Exam DAYYY....... as most of the people say, I felt the exam was too tough, too long questions, always confusing between two similar answers......way tougher than any NBME`S and UWSA. I was marking at least 10 qns in each block which I was not sure. Only good thing was I had enough time in all the blocks, finished all qns in 45mts and I had 15 mts for revision, Thanks to NBME `s for that. So do practice in online NBME for real experience. exam is similar to uworld qns but little longer with too many details. only new qns for me were that of Insurance and health system in USA -7 or 8 qns which I had no clue.
Exam date- 20th may 2015
Score- 8th july 2015, got 243, I am more than happy........
Thanks to GOD, my family and friends........
I am happy to answer any of your questions regarding the preparation.......

7/12/2015 5:37:59 PM
jayasree wrote:
Hi All,
This post is to share my experience in preparing for Step 1 especially old IMG`s and moms. I have been following this forum for a long time, extremely benefitted from various experiences.
My YOG is 2007.
sources- Kaplan lecture notes, Uworld , FA, pathoma and BRS behavioral sciences......nothing else.
Pharma- uworld and FA
NBME scores- my highest score was 240 in NBME 17 , 3 weeks before exam, predictive of my actual score.
other 3 NBME scores in 230`s. 1 week before exam in NBME 15, got 232,was scary and disappointing. my advice is don't take any NBME s in last two weeks of exam, do it ahead at least 3 weeks before.
UWSA 1 - 235
Exam DAYYY....... as most of the people say, I felt the exam was too tough, too long questions, always confusing between two similar answers......way tougher than any NBME`S and UWSA. I was marking at least 10 qns in each block which I was not sure. Only good thing was I had enough time in all the blocks, finished all qns in 45mts and I had 15 mts for revision, Thanks to NBME `s for that. So do practice in online NBME for real experience. exam is similar to uworld qns but little longer with too many details. only new qns for me were that of Insurance and health system in USA -7 or 8 qns which I had no clue.
Exam date- 20th may 2015

7/12/2015 5:39:08 PM
Congratulations. Super mom

7/12/2015 8:19:33 PM
can't say how much I appreciate your story and how happy I am for you, I am an older IMG student, struggling but one day at a time. So often people have been more negative and discouraging, so I am indeed grateful for your positiveness and to God for your story. All the best, you go girl.
D

7/12/2015 8:56:39 PM
Thanks a lot danikp......

7/12/2015 8:58:01 PM
[quote=desc50304677]can't say how much I appreciate your story and how happy I am for you, I am an older IMG student, struggling but one day at a time. So often people have been more negative and discouraging, so I am indeed grateful for your positiveness and to God for your story. All the best, you go girl.
Thanks.....all the best to you.....

7/15/2015 3:40:53 PM
danikp wrote:
Congratulations. Super mom

Thanks for your inspiring story! I am also a mom working on my step 1. Thanks for the review material tips. What NBME's should I take? I noticed you took several. And got a predictive score. Congratulations super mom!

Liz

7/15/2015 5:51:42 PM
Hello FRIENDS..... am IMG student planning preparing for USMLE ....
I AM A BEGINNER to USMLE n BEGINNER to U WORLD ....
i want to get 240 score in ma step one............. congratulations jayashree

7/15/2015 7:29:49 PM
Hi Liz,
thank you...
I took nbme 12,13,15,16 and 17. I was monitoring my progress through NBME. It is up to you to decide about it. I took all of them online.
All the best to you...

7/15/2015 7:30:58 PM
Hi guna99
thanks a lot..... All the best wishes for you.....

7/23/2015 3:10:44 AM
jayasree wrote:
Hi Liz,
thank you...
I took nbme 12,13,15,16 and 17. I was monitoring my progress through NBME. It is up to you to decide about it. I took all of them online.
All the best to you...

7/23/2015 3:11:19 AM
Thank you again.

8/2/2015 6:00:29 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! you got a great score and thank you for sharing your experience!
I would like to know how you distributed your time, because I am kind of pluzze with that. how many times did u do Uworld? where did u review immunology?

thanks again

8/2/2015 6:19:46 PM
[quote=LeidyJoha]CONGRATULATIONS!!! you got a great score and thank you for sharing your experience!
I would like to know how you distributed your time, because I am kind of pluzze with that. how many times did u do Uworld? where did u review immunology?
Thanks LeidyJoha..... I actually didn't have a clear cut plan, but roughly it was like this, started with Kaplan lectures and notes for each subject, in between uworld questions on the topics I have read. I have done uworld twice for most of the topics and thrice for some subjects like pathology and microbiology. Immunology I studied from Kaplan lecture note and uworld, I felt it was perfect.( got high performance in micro and immuno). All the best for you....

8/3/2015 11:35:43 AM
jayasree wrote:
Hi guna99

Hai jayasree
Wat all u subjects studied from Kaplan.....?
I find just embryology in first aid but wat abt anatomy ... We're did u study anatomy from , other than u world....I got 2 first aid one with Q n A and other with high yield topics.... Please guide me friend....

8/3/2015 12:03:05 PM
Guna99 wrote:
jayasree wrote:
Hi guna99

Hai jayasree
I find just embryology in first aid but wat abt anatomy ... We're did u study anatomy from , other than u world....I got 2 first aid one with Q n A and other with high yield topics.... Please guide me friend....

Hi Guna99,
I have mentioned the subjects I studied from Kaplan in my post, ie Micro and immune, biochem, neuro from anatomy and other subjects for explanation of doubtful questions from uworld. Anatomy I did from uworld basically and also first aid. I think Kaplan anatomy note and video lectures are fantastic for anatomy, covers all topics, even though I didn't get time to read it fully.

8/4/2015 10:34:32 AM
jayasree wrote:
Guna99 wrote:
jayasree wrote:
Hi guna99

Hai jayasree

Hi Guna99,
I have mentioned the subjects I studied from Kaplan in my post, ie Micro and immune, biochem, neuro from anatomy and other subjects for explanation of doubtful questions from uworld. Anatomy I did from uworld basically and also first aid. I think Kaplan anatomy note and video lectures are fantastic for anatomy, covers all topics, even though I didn't get time to read it fully.

Hai jayasree.... Thanks a lot for your help... Am studying alone n housewife.... Please I need your guidance for ma step 1 wen ur free.... High score must for me... Ma contact s 9566392015... Thanks again

8/17/2015 8:26:18 PM
jayasree wrote:
Hi All,
My YOG is 2007.
Pharma- uworld and FA
UWSA 1 - 235
Exam date- 20th may 2015

8/17/2015 8:28:54 PM
Hi there!

Thank you so much for your post.
I am in the same situation as you, IMG and mom. Every now and then I don't believe I ll ever pass. It s sometimes so hard. Your post gave me some new energy though.
Danielle ( from the Netherlands)

jayasree wrote:
Hi All,
My YOG is 2007.
Pharma- uworld and FA
UWSA 1 - 235
Exam date- 20th may 2015

8/18/2015 3:25:01 AM
Hello jayasree,
congratulations on ur success.I am also an old img .I was using Goljan for patho,but now everyone is saying pathoma is good.I am really confused,which one is more reliable to score high on step1??What do u think....plz help me.

10/31/2015 11:50:39 PM
Big Congratulations to you!!! You did amazing! Your post does inspire me since I am also an old IMG and preparing for the exam. Motivated post for me! You mentioned that you practiced UWorld and NBME questions. Did you use other qbanks/qbooks also? Thanks in advance. Congratulations again and all the best to you!

jayasree wrote:
Hi All,
My YOG is 2007.
Pharma- uworld and FA
UWSA 1 - 235
Exam date- 20th may 2015

11/2/2015 1:10:49 PM
ADBRuby wrote:
Big Congratulations to you!!! You did amazing! Your post does inspire me since I am also an old IMG and preparing for the exam. Motivated post for me! You mentioned that you practiced UWorld and NBME questions. Did you use other qbanks/qbooks also? Thanks in advance. Congratulations again and all the best to you!
Thanks ADBRuby. All the very best to you. I have not used any other qbank or qbook because I didn't have time for any other. Uworld itself is exhaustive and almost complete in my opinion.

jayasree wrote:
Hi All,
My YOG is 2007.
Pharma- uworld and FA
UWSA 1 - 235
Exam date- 20th may 2015

edited by on 11/2/2015

11/7/2015 10:36:26 AM
Congratulations Jayashree!..Good luck with the rest of the steps!
I wanted to know "is a study partner really needed for the step1?"..I am sceptical about choosing a sp..as everyones style of studying is different ..please help
Thank you in Advance
edited by on 11/7/2015

11/13/2015 6:14:31 PM
congratulation dear
can u tell me how r u preparing for step2ck?

11/14/2015 1:07:35 PM
Congratulations good luck with next step

pages: 1 2

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK