dint get a single interview last year

8/28/2015 4:20:11 PM
I am an IMG, a pediatrician in home country . step 1 249; step 2 ck 240; cs first attempt; step3 scores awaited. No US LORS , USCE, Research work . LORS from back home . Applied last year on Oct 15th , could that be a reason for no interviews ? not done any observerships in USA, could that be a reason? please help me, what should I do ?
Look for observerships ; look for a research job ( I have a EAD) ; shadowing in teaching hospitals; I am at loss here . How do I improve the chances for getting interviews and a match?

9/1/2015 10:21:53 AM
what did you do in the year? it's 2 weeks before we apply for this year, what advice do you think you can get now that will make a difference? What specialty(or plural) did you apply to? what year did you graduate? I can go on and on, there are a thousand reasons why no one called you. AND: ead is one year, you will still need sponsorship.
edited by on 9/1/2015
edited by on 9/1/2015

9/1/2015 10:28:09 AM
I am an IMG as I said .. My visa expired and I had to go back to my country where I set up my private practice during this time ... I just got my visa and came back here.
Graduated in 2007 but completed my post graduation in peds in 2010.
I had applied only to pediatrics... that's what I want to pursue

9/2/2015 10:58:25 AM
unfortunately they look at your Medical School Graduation date, not what you did after, since you are applying for a residency and not a fellowship your previous GME doesnt count unless its a ACGME school you went to. Unfortunately you havent done anything in the last year to strenghten your USA application, most pediatric specialties only look at people within the last 5years others within 2 years, have you passed step 3? I dont think much will change this year in my honest opinion, you will have to apply to less competitive programs and Pediatrics is historically VERY competitive. Look at the Match data from http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/ That is state by state the number of Pediatric positions and who they were filled by, it further tells you that its more recent graduates, do you have a PTAL letter? California takes older IMGs willing to serve in underserved areas, Nevada too. In fact Nevada gave a license to a dr that had a combined 7 fails on all steps to work in underserved areas, but not in pediatrics. Look at the data, decide which states you have the best chances in and apply, but I will be honest and say I dont think you have a shot in Pediatrics, maybe IM or FM. But if not much has changed from last year to now, put yourself in their shoes, what about you makes you more appealing this year?
edited by on 9/2/2015

9/2/2015 11:02:02 AM
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply .

9/3/2015 12:57:07 PM
Monicaa wrote:
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply .

Not a problem, I hope you didnt think I was being harsh, I took would love to be an ER Pshysician as I was in my home country, but the chances of an IMG past 5years graduation is just above zero(graduated2010). Evaluate why you want to come to the USA if you have your private practice at home. I dont have a choice, I live here, I have my house here, our kids are born here, my husband is from here and wont move to where I am from; so I have to adjust my wants with what is actually possible. Thats the way it is here, preference is give to US graduates, then US IMGs, then NON-USIMGs many programs no longer sponsor H1B visas.USCIS has changed and many programs have told my friends they will only sponsor J1 visas now.

9/3/2015 1:06:31 PM
I understand that.. Even I am left with no choice... My kids r born here ... My husband's not sure if he wants to stay here or move back ... So I have get into a program and complete my residency .... Anywez thanks for your input ... And all the best .

10/7/2015 3:34:06 AM
Hi @Monica, I've been watching this thread since the time you posted it, as it was pertinent to me as well. I am also an old IMG, in-fact older than you, my credentials are very close to yours including a home residency. I'm pretty new to the whole process of matching unlike many veterans here, it being my first match (hope it's the last), but whatever I've seen I can only encourage you to move forward for the match. I hope you did apply this year.The reason I'm writing is that the issue of YOG has really been overblown, there is nothing set in stone I believe. I have my friend, an old IMG who got matched last year in pediatrics with just step 1 score and 1 month obsie at private clinic with home residency in application, and I know at least 2 more such examples at my PG college itself. All on east coast. For me myself and my partner, within 10 days of sending the application we've got 5 interviews individually with absolutely no contacts in the programs and even from a program writing "strict YOG 3 years". I don't know what'll happen in the end but I believe YOG is more of a concern before the interviews. Hope that encourages you. I know it takes a lot of effort at this stage to go through steps and in securing the high credentials you've got, just prepare a nice application. Don't be discouraged by negative stories, they'll always be more in number, very few who match post anything in any forum. I replied late as I needed a first hand experience with getting the interviews, which I got now. Best of luck!!!
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015

10/12/2016 11:15:32 AM
adpa63306915 wrote:
Hi @Monica, I've been watching this thread since the time you posted it, as it was pertinent to me as well. I am also an old IMG, in-fact older than you, my credentials are very close to yours including a home residency. I'm pretty new to the whole process of matching unlike many veterans here, it being my first match (hope it's the last), but whatever I've seen I can only encourage you to move forward for the match. I hope you did apply this year.The reason I'm writing is that the issue of YOG has really been overblown, there is nothing set in stone I believe. I have my friend, an old IMG who got matched last year in pediatrics with just step 1 score and 1 month obsie at private clinic with home residency in application, and I know at least 2 more such examples at my PG college itself. All on east coast. For me myself and my partner, within 10 days of sending the application we've got 5 interviews individually with absolutely no contacts in the programs and even from a program writing "strict YOG 3 years". I don't know what'll happen in the end but I believe YOG is more of a concern before the interviews. Hope that encourages you. I know it takes a lot of effort at this stage to go through steps and in securing the high credentials you've got, just prepare a nice application. Don't be discouraged by negative stories, they'll always be more in number, very few who match post anything in any forum. I replied late as I needed a first hand experience with getting the interviews, which I got now. Best of luck!!!
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015

Hi,

I'm curious to know, did you match?

10/12/2016 12:32:08 PM
Latinasia wrote:
adpa63306915 wrote:
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015

Hi,

Yes I did . In fact we did.

1/3/2017 11:00:16 AM
adpa63306915 wrote:
Latinasia wrote:
adpa63306915 wrote:
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015

Hi,

Congrats! That must be a big relief! I would like to hear more about your experience if possible. =)

1/31/2017 4:00:50 AM
adpa63306915 wrote:
Latinasia wrote:
adpa63306915 wrote:
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015
edited by on 10/7/2015

Hi,

hey congrats, can you tell some details in which programe u matched n wats ur YOG n usmle scores

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK