Failed Step 1, advice needed

9/21/2016 2:14:43 PM
Hello Everyone
So I am a 2nd year IMG and I got back my Step 1 score last week and i failed (got a 167) *sigh*. I honestly feel like crap because I know I have put in the hours and gone through alot of preparation(FA, UWorld, Kaplan prep etc) for this exam. At one point after getting results, I honestly thought of quitting all together but I realized I come too far to stop now.
Since I got results, I have been receiving alot of negative comments ; I even got a comment from someone i considered a friend (shes a doctor btw) that "I don't belong in the doctors class, and maybe I should find something fitting for a lower class person such as yourself" (honestly don't need anymore negative comments so if its not constructive/positive thoughts please don't comment).
I have received a few positive ones from people who really and honestly care and want to see me move forward in life as I am the type of person who asks for help. So I am humbly asking everyone in this forum for some well needed advice and tips on moving forward, improving my score, making a proper study schedule, best resources to use etc. (even if its a motivational word or two, I'd really appreciate it ^_^ .....(currently I am trying to analyze the score report for my weakness, strengths etc)

9/21/2016 3:26:45 PM
lgjt425819 wrote:
Hello Everyone
So I am a 2nd year IMG and I got back my Step 1 score last week and i failed (got a 167) *sigh*. I honestly feel like crap because I know I have put in the hours and gone through alot of preparation(FA, UWorld, Kaplan prep etc) for this exam. At one point after getting results, I honestly thought of quitting all together but I realized I come too far to stop now.
Since I got results, I have been receiving alot of negative comments ; I even got a comment from someone i considered a friend (shes a doctor btw) that "I don't belong in the doctors class, and maybe I should find something fitting for a lower class person such as yourself" (honestly don't need anymore negative comments so if its not constructive/positive thoughts please don't comment).
I have received a few positive ones from people who really and honestly care and want to see me move forward in life as I am the type of person who asks for help. So I am humbly asking everyone in this forum for some well needed advice and tips on moving forward, improving my score, making a proper study schedule, best resources to use etc. (even if its a motivational word or two, I'd really appreciate it ^_^ .....(currently I am trying to analyze the score report for my weakness, strengths etc)

Hello dear!
I hope you are keeping well now and keep your spirits high.I know what it is like as i am in the same boat as you are the only difference being that i am graduated student.
my advice to you would be : this exam is doable .its all about your mental and physical strength. dont try to think about what has happened cause that cannot be changed but be grateful that god has given you another chance to study more better and be a better doctor. Try to find a sincere study partner and stay away from negative people even if its your loved ones.- thats the last thing you want at this time.its sad to say but we have to act little bit selfish.scores is a part of residency- they look at the whole application.
we can all do it with Gods will.
let me know if you want to study with me if you are planing to give your exam soon.
best of luck .

9/23/2016 10:08:37 AM
Hi , thanks so much for the encouraging words man, it really means alot..I'm honestly not sure when I'm going to sit again (sooner than later tho) since my brain slowly coming out the bummed fog, but I am definately, definately considering your offer (if you can help with biostats and biochem especially you'd be my hero lol)
P.S sorry for the late reply, I am still kinda new to this whole forums thing

9/24/2016 8:39:14 AM
Good morning Blessed one,

I have read your post and must say that it was very touching! All I can say is never give up, no matter what you faced in the past or no matter what anyone had to say about your previous negative experience. Everything that happens in a person's life(whether it is good or bad) is for a reason. Just because you had a previous failed attempt on Step 1, does not mean it is the end of you becoming a Medical Doctor in the United States of America or over seas. I believe that it wasn't meant for you to pass your exam during that time, but the next time you sign up for your exam, you will Pass it (Step1); along with the other exams that you must take (Step 2 Ck, Step 2CS and Step 3)! So, Congratulations in advance to your success! This is what you have to do now: Put God first, and pray for his wisdom in being able to apply all of the concepts to any USMLE style questions, pray for mental peace, pray against a divided mind, and ask him to help you focus without any distractions. Don't be hard on yourself because you are not alone. Stop hanging or speaking to negative people that are discouraging, and this includes the negative loved ones(such as relatives or family friends etc). Change your study environment to one that will be stress-free and accommodate your studying(such as the library or any other place from the previous one you were at), Tell your self every time you study, "I am Intelligent and I can do anything I set my mind to do in this world, no matter what challenge I face in my life". Exercise in the morning, Believe in yourself, Be confident while studying, and have faith by putting your trust in God and not in any man, because the almighty God will not give you a assignment that he felt you couldn't handle, nor will the almighty God bring you this far to leave you now. Trust me it ain't over yet until God says so. Also, when God says yes no man can say no! I strongly believe that he has said yes to you becoming a Medical Doctor. Don't be anxious about anything anymore! You will make it , you are an over comer, and a victorious success story! Remain blessed
Study Materials that you should use are the following: Usmle Rx triple bundle, Uworld and use Kaplan notes only as a refernence( you really do not need it unless you don't understand the concepts in your qbanks or study materials) but spend alot of your time understanding concepts in First Aid and doing a vast amount of questions, but in the first month of your study you should do 20% of questions such as 5-10 questions per day and the rest of the 80% of your time should be spent on learning the material with the First aid Express Videos (along with the work book) and Flash facts( which will help you memorize first aid). Make sure to do Usmle Rx once or twice and do Uworld at least 2-4x's( going through all of the explanantions to the right and wrong ones), and Make sure to take the up to date expanded feedback NBME ( to see your strengths, weakness and track your progress)! If you are enrolled in Medical school, I suggest that you take a leave of absence or Withdraw because you need to give your brain and your self alot of time to learn and understand your materials. After you get a passing NBME, then you should reapply to a Medical School and continue using the method that works! If you think that you don't need that much time, then ignore my suggestion and register for your Step 1 soon!!

All the best in all of your endeavors,

Ezinne

9/24/2016 10:52:44 AM
Thanks alot Ezinne ...will definately take your advice. I'm currently coming out of my bummed state and trying to carve a way forward. Will let you know how it goes

9/24/2016 3:42:14 PM
Ezinne wrote:
Good morning Blessed one,

I have read your post and must say that it was very touching! All I can say is never give up, no matter what you faced in the past or no matter what anyone had to say about your previous negative experience. Everything that happens in a person's life(whether it is good or bad) is for a reason. Just because you had a previous failed attempt on Step 1, does not mean it is the end of you becoming a Medical Doctor in the United States of America or over seas. I believe that it wasn't meant for you to pass your exam during that time, but the next time you sign up for your exam, you will Pass it (Step1); along with the other exams that you must take (Step 2 Ck, Step 2CS and Step 3)! So, Congratulations in advance to your success! This is what you have to do now: Put God first, and pray for his wisdom in being able to apply all of the concepts to any USMLE style questions, pray for mental peace, pray against a divided mind, and ask him to help you focus without any distractions. Don't be hard on yourself because you are not alone. Stop hanging or speaking to negative people that are discouraging, and this includes the negative loved ones(such as relatives or family friends etc). Change your study environment to one that will be stress-free and accommodate your studying(such as the library or any other place from the previous one you were at), Tell your self every time you study, "I am Intelligent and I can do anything I set my mind to do in this world, no matter what challenge I face in my life". Exercise in the morning, Believe in yourself, Be confident while studying, and have faith by putting your trust in God and not in any man, because the almighty God will not give you a assignment that he felt you couldn't handle, nor will the almighty God bring you this far to leave you now. Trust me it ain't over yet until God says so. Also, when God says yes no man can say no! I strongly believe that he has said yes to you becoming a Medical Doctor. Don't be anxious about anything anymore! You will make it , you are an over comer, and a victorious success story! Remain blessed
Study Materials that you should use are the following: Usmle Rx triple bundle, Uworld and use Kaplan notes only as a refernence( you really do not need it unless you don't understand the concepts in your qbanks or study materials) but spend alot of your time understanding concepts in First Aid and doing a vast amount of questions, but in the first month of your study you should do 20% of questions such as 5-10 questions per day and the rest of the 80% of your time should be spent on learning the material with the First aid Express Videos (along with the work book) and Flash facts( which will help you memorize first aid). Make sure to do Usmle Rx once or twice and do Uworld at least 2-4x's( going through all of the explanantions to the right and wrong ones), and Make sure to take the up to date expanded feedback NBME ( to see your strengths, weakness and track your progress)! If you are enrolled in Medical school, I suggest that you take a leave of absence or Withdraw because you need to give your brain and your self alot of time to learn and understand your materials. After you get a passing NBME, then you should reapply to a Medical School and continue using the method that works! If you think that you don't need that much time, then ignore my suggestion and register for your Step 1 soon!!

All the best in all of your endeavors,

Ezinne

Hello Ezinne!
Thank you for such an encouraging post for the people who are in same boat. I wish and pray everyone who is doing this journey is able to succeed in it in the best way and may GOD give us the strength and endurance for it !

9/25/2016 6:34:11 AM
lgjt425819 and Fshaukat, you are both welcome!Fshaukat, I wish you the same and everyone else. lgjt425819, I really look forward to hearing good news from you and always remember that the almighty God is able to do the impossible and no matter what the odds or probability says, you can definitely accomplish all of your dreams. Also, God's time is the best time!

Remain blessed

Ezinne

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK