DILEMMA DILEMMA

10/10/2016 8:01:31 PM
So here is my dilemma.... I test next week and I am kind of freaking out. This will be my first attempt. I finished the qbank on 9-30-16. I finished with an overall score of 68%. Since then I have read my notes and have decided to do the questions one more time, I mean what else am I going to do. I guess the reason I am so panicked is because most of my friends that have taken the exam have all passed on their first attempt with 75 questions.... The thing that worries me is that they all did Kaplan and some used both Kaplan and Uworld. Mind you everyone that used Kaplan said it was horrible but they couldn't get their money back so they had no choice but to use it. I bought kaplan myself right out of nursing school and absolutely hated it... So I canceled and luckily was able to get my money back. I then purchased uworld because of all the good reviews... I will say that this resource is waaaaaayyyy better than Kaplan and the rationales are amazing. With Kaplan I felt as if the questions were riddles and half of the time I didn't even understand what the question was asking. My friend took her exam last week and she did not take her Kaplan readiness test because she didn't have time, so she let me use her account for that last test Kaplan has you take and I scored 75%. So as of now I am redoing the uworld questions but I feel weird doing that because I feel like I know the answers (NO I am not saying that I am trying or have memorized these answers),,,, what I mean is that its impossible to memorize all 1900 questions in the qbank and I know that those exact questions wont be on my exam so again that is NOT what I am doing,,,, what I am trying to say is that I remember the reason/rationale as to why that is the correct answer. I obviously understood the rationales after my first round of doing the qbank. I know what I am looking for, unstable vs stable, ABC, expected vs not expected.... So now I am wondering if doing the questions again for the second time is even worth it. I have done about 750 questions this second time around and my average so far is in the 90%. I am not rereading the rationales for the ones I get correct because that takes so much time plus I've already read it the first time and it stuck hence how I got the answer correct the second time, so I am only reading the rationales for the ones I get wrong and for some that I am kind of unclear on..... So long story short I dont know if I should continue with the second round of these qbank questions or if I should do the questions in the "Lacharity- Prioritization, delegation and assignment" book I bought that has been sitting on my desk and hasn't been touched. I know I sound like a crazy person. Any advice is greatly appreciated....

10/12/2016 11:44:19 AM
Here you Go.... Go back in and just highlight Leadership an Management and start there, click all areas to study. Now your goal is to understand why each question is written and lock down the rational behind the questions, because if you do not know why a patient vitals change or if this is a normal presentation and not critical .... you don't know NCLEX Safety. Because you will see the same question but with a few different what if's , who do you see first. You got to understand that the NCLEX is a Safety exam, that's why Kaplen is **** anymore. No student should buy that, no worries because I did too buy the program.

10/12/2016 11:44:57 AM
wkfq562407 wrote:
So here is my dilemma.... I test next week and I am kind of freaking out. This will be my first attempt. I finished the qbank on 9-30-16. I finished with an overall score of 68%. Since then I have read my notes and have decided to do the questions one more time, I mean what else am I going to do. I guess the reason I am so panicked is because most of my friends that have taken the exam have all passed on their first attempt with 75 questions.... The thing that worries me is that they all did Kaplan and some used both Kaplan and Uworld. Mind you everyone that used Kaplan said it was horrible but they couldn't get their money back so they had no choice but to use it. I bought kaplan myself right out of nursing school and absolutely hated it... So I canceled and luckily was able to get my money back. I then purchased uworld because of all the good reviews... I will say that this resource is waaaaaayyyy better than Kaplan and the rationales are amazing. With Kaplan I felt as if the questions were riddles and half of the time I didn't even understand what the question was asking. My friend took her exam last week and she did not take her Kaplan readiness test because she didn't have time, so she let me use her account for that last test Kaplan has you take and I scored 75%. So as of now I am redoing the uworld questions but I feel weird doing that because I feel like I know the answers (NO I am not saying that I am trying or have memorized these answers),,,, what I mean is that its impossible to memorize all 1900 questions in the qbank and I know that those exact questions wont be on my exam so again that is NOT what I am doing,,,, what I am trying to say is that I remember the reason/rationale as to why that is the correct answer. I obviously understood the rationales after my first round of doing the qbank. I know what I am looking for, unstable vs stable, ABC, expected vs not expected.... So now I am wondering if doing the questions again for the second time is even worth it. I have done about 750 questions this second time around and my average so far is in the 90%. I am not rereading the rationales for the ones I get correct because that takes so much time plus I've already read it the first time and it stuck hence how I got the answer correct the second time, so I am only reading the rationales for the ones I get wrong and for some that I am kind of unclear on..... So long story short I dont know if I should continue with the second round of these qbank questions or if I should do the questions in the "Lacharity- Prioritization, delegation and assignment" book I bought that has been sitting on my desk and hasn't been touched. I know I sound like a crazy person. Any advice is greatly appreciated....

Here you Go.... Go back in and just highlight Leadership an Management and start there, click all areas to study. Now your goal is to understand why each question is written and lock down the rational behind the questions, because if you do not know why a patient vitals change or if this is a normal presentation and not critical .... you don't know NCLEX Safety. Because you will see the same question but with a few different what if's , who do you see first. You got to understand that the NCLEX is a Safety exam, that's why Kaplen is **** anymore. No student should buy that, no worries because I did too buy the program.

10/12/2016 11:49:04 AM
Oh yea I forgot- Leave that Lacharity- Prioritization, delegation book where it sits. Purchased as well and did not use it. Its was a waste of money as well. Questions are written exactly like Uworld, ask your friends, ask your 75 questions and I'm finish.... How much Safety crap they seen within those 75 questions. We should rename the NCLEX - Safety NCLEX for Nurses Exam.

10/12/2016 1:18:38 PM
FireNurse wrote:

Thank you kindly for your feedback. Yes I totally agree with what you're saying. I feel like I kind of have the rationales down. As I stated before I feel like I know what I'm looking for, what I mean by that, is that when I read the questions I say to myself "Ok is this a normal/expected presentation for this condition or is this critical and NOT a normal finding." EX: I would expect a patient with pneumonia to have a some crackles high WBC count and maybe a fever... but I would NOT expect a person to have super low BP, tachycardia , rigid distended abdomen and tachypnea after an AAA repair that would be abnormal and the patient is probably bleeding internally... I also look at the vital signs and ask myself "why are these vitals changing is this normal for the condition (COPD having low O2 = noramal vs asthma attack with low O2= not normal) or is something wrong?" I did 5 chapters in the LaCharity book yesterday and I agree with you... it will go back on the desk- a waste of time ....the questions are kind of common sense. As far as aking my friends who all passed at 75.. I thought I was a basket case well they are worse, basically super dramatic... I asked them to give me a little feed back on the exam and well since none of them did Uworld they all did Kaplan they came out of the exam crying and saying that the exam was super hard and that the questions were super random and that they didnt know anything that was on there.... (I know super weird how did you know nothing yet you passed???I dont know).... so needless to say they are the wrong ppl to ask.. lol.... I guess what I was hoping to get out of the post was encouragement, and maybe a little reassurance that uworld works... I think I'm just a little nervous because I PERSONALLY don't know of anyone who has used uworld... I feel comfortable with the material. I have loved using uworld because the reationales are amazing, so I'm hoping everything goes well next week,,, I think I'm just super anxious and nervous... Again thank you for you kind response.

10/12/2016 6:43:47 PM
wkfq562407 wrote:
FireNurse wrote:

Thank you kindly for your feedback. Yes I totally agree with what you're saying. I feel like I kind of have the rationales down. As I stated before I feel like I know what I'm looking for, what I mean by that, is that when I read the questions I say to myself "Ok is this a normal/expected presentation for this condition or is this critical and NOT a normal finding." EX: I would expect a patient with pneumonia to have a some crackles high WBC count and maybe a fever... but I would NOT expect a person to have super low BP, tachycardia , rigid distended abdomen and tachypnea after an AAA repair that would be abnormal and the patient is probably bleeding internally... I also look at the vital signs and ask myself "why are these vitals changing is this normal for the condition (COPD having low O2 = noramal vs asthma attack with low O2= not normal) or is something wrong?" I did 5 chapters in the LaCharity book yesterday and I agree with you... it will go back on the desk- a waste of time ....the questions are kind of common sense. As far as aking my friends who all passed at 75.. I thought I was a basket case well they are worse, basically super dramatic... I asked them to give me a little feed back on the exam and well since none of them did Uworld they all did Kaplan they came out of the exam crying and saying that the exam was super hard and that the questions were super random and that they didnt know anything that was on there.... (I know super weird how did you know nothing yet you passed???I dont know).... so needless to say they are the wrong ppl to ask.. lol.... I guess what I was hoping to get out of the post was encouragement, and maybe a little reassurance that uworld works... I think I'm just a little nervous because I PERSONALLY don't know of anyone who has used uworld... I feel comfortable with the material. I have loved using uworld because the reationales are amazing, so I'm hoping everything goes well next week,,, I think I'm just super anxious and nervous... Again thank you for you kind response.

First, let me apoligize because all I want to do is encourage you because you got this. My personal opinion , if you got the rationale down like you are saying in your post , you will rock this exam for sure. The way you gave your example at the way you are approaching each question is exactly how I answered the question. Go rock it and then enjoy what Nursing is really. That's taking care of our patients . Take care and wish you the best of Luck.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK