Reactivity

2/11/2018 2:14:54 AM
I was solving a passage and i came across a reactivity series where uworld indicates that anhydrides are less reactive than esters. Can someone please explain this point? I would've thought that more oxygen (in anhydride) indicates more e w/drawing of electrons hence it will cause the carbon of carbonyl to become even more (delta) positive than an ester which has only 2 oxygens hence less electron w/drawing effect.
Thanks

2/11/2018 2:24:06 AM
xpfa135474 wrote:
I was solving a passage and i came across a reactivity series where uworld indicates that anhydrides are less reactive than esters. Can someone please explain this point? I would've thought that more oxygen (in anhydride) indicates more e w/drawing of electrons hence it will cause the carbon of carbonyl to become even more (delta) positive than an ester which has only 2 oxygens hence less electron w/drawing effect.
Thanks

PS- On that same diagram, it's also written alkyl halide, however I believe it should be acyl halide?

2/12/2018 10:26:37 AM
xpfa135474 wrote:
Thanks

Hi,
If you ever have a question about our content or a specific explanation, you can click on the feedback button in our interface and all your feedback/comments will make it directly to our content development team. We revise our questions constantly to improve explanations so all feedback is welcome. I will forward your comment to our content team so they can address them. Check the question in a couple days and you will see a change in the diagram. Thank you!

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn More
   I Accept