262 My Step 1 Experience

3/29/2018 1:19:34 PM
What worked for me not necessarily would work exactly the same for everyone else but most of it was right as per my knowledge to Slay the Dragon.
Avinash Gupta
Graduation year 2014 from India
Actual Prep duration - 7 months ( Excluding 2 months during clerkship on and off watching videos of Kaplan for all subjects except Microbioogy which was extensive in Kaplan I did that to get a rough Idea about the material) 

Anatomy Shelf Notes and BRS Gross Anatomy (only Questions MRI and CT) FA
Physiology BRS Physiology (Except Neurophysiology because I did Kaplan Neuroanatomy and did very well with my tutor) and questions from BRS and FA
Pharmacology Kaplan LN FA 

Pathology Pathoma, Goljan (only Immunopathology and electrolyte acid base stopped doing further, too much extensive) and FA
Microbiology and Immunology FA
Biochemistry FA 

Behavioral Science and Biostatistics Kaplan videos by Steven Daugherty and Biostatistics by Randy Neil with FA
Ethics 100 cases
Heart Sounds App from Android

Googling all new words.

Question Banks
U WORLD the best No doubt about it every word is important.
USMLE Rx first time I was not able to do completely but later I did on recommendation of my tutor with daily lectures.
BRS questions only for Anatomy Physiology and Behavioral science

BRS Theory for physiology and questions, Shelf notes, Pathoma, Behavioral Science and Biostatistics Videos took for me another 3 months and I used to do USMLE Rx q bank with those subjects I was able to do only 700-800 questions and my subscription expired from USMLE Rx and somewhere about 450 UW questions and I decided to take an NBME Self assessment 13 I scored 196 (CBSSA 350).
I was disappointed but I was happy that I passed at least and I knew that I have to do remaining UW and remaining FA cover to cover.
I gave one reading thoroughly to FA and most of my UW questions were finished maybe 150 left then I took another NBME self assessment 15 and I scored 222 (CBSSA 470) This time I did a mistake I should have completed and reviewed the material before taking NBME SA.
I even took UWSA form 1 and I got 247 (CBSSA 590) I was even having UWSA form 2 but I never used it because I understood that it over predicts.

I was searching for a SP who should be better than me or find a good tutor but most of the SP were almost the same compared to my knowledge, I compromised to study with one of the SP who was joining a tutor whose name I would not like to disclose as I don’t want to get in to any trouble and he recommended me to attend a free demo and I liked the way he correlated various areas which I felt was lacking in my preparation despite studying various books. So I joined his short 2 months course and a rapid review course after that. This wired up my brain very well.

I made Flash Cards for only Anatomy Psychiatry and Microbiology to review every time before my NBME.

Some Flash Cards in UW with tables review before each NBME and the time of real exam.

3/29/2018 1:20:03 PM
NBME 17 - 6 weeks before exam 256 (CBSSA 630)
NBME 16 & 18 on same day 2 weeks before exam after the rapid review course with my tutor - Average for both was 268 or 269 I can’t recall I want to move my date early but decided to give one more reading and not to make any changes
NBME 19 -1 week before exam 258 (CBSSA 640) I was a little disappointed that my score went down but I keep pushing myself
Last 2 days before exam I revised my Flash cards / CT and MRI images / Biostatistics and pharmacology formulas with questions and reviewing my wrong answers again.
The night before exam I could barely sleep for 5 hours woke up multiple times but I was attentive throughout my day of exam.
I took some snacks nuts and a sandwich with red bull to take in second half of the day. Prepared everything a day before.
1 Blocks - Break ( didnt leave the room just closed my eyes and sat for 5 min) I was a bit anxious.
2 Block - Break had my Lunch and drink.
2 Blocks - Break for Restroom
1 Block - 10 min break before my last Block of questions.
I was having enough time left after each block to review my answers especially some 1-2 questions each block I don’t know where were they asked from.
Overall the test was doable but I still felt that I didnt do well or did mistakes which might effect my score.
Real deal- 262
I just looked in to my NBME average today and surprisingly the average of my 4 tests was 262.75
(point to be highlighted that NBMEs are highly predictive ) So do read the detailed explanations of right and wrong answers both.
I can answer some questions if anyone has to my mail [email protected]
Good Luck
edited by on 3/29/2018

3/29/2018 2:03:58 PM
very very nice score. I congratulate.
Please I will mail you my exam is in July.

3/29/2018 4:44:33 PM
rbdb142257 wrote:
NBME 17 - 6 weeks before exam 256 (CBSSA 630)
NBME 16 & 18 on same day 2 weeks before exam after the rapid review course with my tutor - Average for both was 268 or 269 I can’t recall I want to move my date early but decided to give one more reading and not to make any changes
NBME 19 -1 week before exam 258 (CBSSA 640) I was a little disappointed that my score went down but I keep pushing myself
Last 2 days before exam I revised my Flash cards / CT and MRI images / Biostatistics and pharmacology formulas with questions and reviewing my wrong answers again.
The night before exam I could barely sleep for 5 hours woke up multiple times but I was attentive throughout my day of exam.
I took some snacks nuts and a sandwich with red bull to take in second half of the day. Prepared everything a day before.
1 Blocks - Break ( didnt leave the room just closed my eyes and sat for 5 min) I was a bit anxious.
2 Block - Break had my Lunch and drink.
2 Blocks - Break for Restroom
1 Block - 10 min break before my last Block of questions.
I was having enough time left after each block to review my answers especially some 1-2 questions each block I don’t know where were they asked from.
Overall the test was doable but I still felt that I didnt do well or did mistakes which might effect my score.
Real deal- 262
I just looked in to my NBME average today and surprisingly the average of my 4 tests was 262.75
(point to be highlighted that NBMEs are highly predictive ) So do read the detailed explanations of right and wrong answers both.
I can answer some questions if anyone has to my mail [email protected]
Good Luck
edited by on 3/29/2018

Congrats thats wonderful!

4/4/2018 4:43:24 PM
Congratulations
Can you tell who was your tutor ?
To what extent was it helpful ?
Is it ok to start with your tutor as I am a beginner and a below average student in my med school ?
Your response is appreciated.
Anas Ghamdi

5/24/2018 7:51:11 PM
rbdb142257 wrote:
What worked for me not necessarily would work exactly the same for everyone else but most of it was right as per my knowledge to Slay the Dragon.
Avinash Gupta
Actual Prep duration - 7 months ( Excluding 2 months during clerkship on and off watching videos of Kaplan for all subjects except Microbioogy which was extensive in Kaplan I did that to get a rough Idea about the material) 

Physiology BRS Physiology (Except Neurophysiology because I did Kaplan Neuroanatomy and did very well with my tutor) and questions from BRS and FA

Pathology Pathoma, Goljan (only Immunopathology and electrolyte acid base stopped doing further, too much extensive) and FA
Biochemistry FA 

Behavioral Science and Biostatistics Kaplan videos by Steven Daugherty and Biostatistics by Randy Neil with FA
Ethics 100 cases

Googling all new words.

Question Banks
USMLE Rx first time I was not able to do completely but later I did on recommendation of my tutor with daily lectures.

BRS Theory for physiology and questions, Shelf notes, Pathoma, Behavioral Science and Biostatistics Videos took for me another 3 months and I used to do USMLE Rx q bank with those subjects I was able to do only 700-800 questions and my subscription expired from USMLE Rx and somewhere about 450 UW questions and I decided to take an NBME Self assessment 13 I scored 196 (CBSSA 350).
I was disappointed but I was happy that I passed at least and I knew that I have to do remaining UW and remaining FA cover to cover.
I gave one reading thoroughly to FA and most of my UW questions were finished maybe 150 left then I took another NBME self assessment 15 and I scored 222 (CBSSA 470) This time I did a mistake I should have completed and reviewed the material before taking NBME SA.
I even took UWSA form 1 and I got 247 (CBSSA 590) I was even having UWSA form 2 but I never used it because I understood that it over predicts.

I was searching for a SP who should be better than me or find a good tutor but most of the SP were almost the same compared to my knowledge, I compromised to study with one of the SP who was joining a tutor whose name I would not like to disclose as I don’t want to get in to any trouble and he recommended me to attend a free demo and I liked the way he correlated various areas which I felt was lacking in my preparation despite studying various books. So I joined his short 2 months course and a rapid review course after that. This wired up my brain very well.

I made Flash Cards for only Anatomy Psychiatry and Microbiology to review every time before my NBME.

Some Flash Cards in UW with tables review before each NBME and the time of real exam.

7/6/2018 7:58:36 AM
Congrats!
please tell classes of which tutor did you join?
thanks
rbdb142257 wrote:
Avinash Gupta

Biochemistry FA 

Ethics 100 cases

Googling all new words.

Question Banks

7/17/2018 3:22:19 AM
paoa219935 wrote:
Congrats!
please tell classes of which tutor did you join?
thanks
rbdb142257 wrote:
Avinash Gupta

Biochemistry FA 

Ethics 100 cases

Googling all new words.

Question Banks

My tutor was Taher sir.

7/20/2018 7:42:14 PM
Thank you so much
How to contact your tutor Taher Sir

7/27/2018 1:06:51 AM
wewa845543 wrote:
Thank you so much

Dr Mohammed can be reached on [email protected].
I can teach Pathology if you want one on one, I also attended Dr Mohammed classes.
If you want you can contact me at [email protected].

8/8/2018 3:12:11 PM
grsb548132 wrote:
wewa845543 wrote:
Thank you so much

I can teach Pathology if you want one on one, I also attended Dr Mohammed classes.

Thank you for the message.
I want a complete step 1 course from Taher Sir and not just pathology.
Thank you for your offer.

8/16/2018 10:21:47 AM
wewa845543 wrote:
grsb548132 wrote:
wewa845543 wrote:
Thank you so much

Thank you for the message.
I want a complete step 1 course from Taher Sir and not just pathology.
Thank you for your offer.

No problem it’s just an offer.

9/5/2018 4:55:22 PM
I have also taken the course from Dr. Taher. He is very knowledgable and sincere about teaching. He breaks down difficult topics and explains very well. I would recommend him to anybody preparing for Step1.

9/17/2018 10:14:10 PM
how much dr Taher charge for his course, I am done with my exam, I am just asking for a friend

9/26/2018 5:34:32 AM
will mail u.

9/26/2018 10:56:18 AM
rbdb142257 wrote:
Avinash Gupta

Biochemistry FA 

Ethics 100 cases

Googling all new words.

Question Banks

AMAZING JOB!! You really prepared well!

11/10/2018 4:46:00 PM
kzsi658702 wrote:
very very nice score. I congratulate.
Please I will mail you my exam is in July.

11/10/2018 4:48:46 PM
Congrats Avinash are you in residency ?or appearing for Step 2?

11/18/2018 10:15:59 PM
Hi! Congratulations for your wonderful score! I would like to ask you for and advice, Im an IMG, i have been preparing for step 1 since April of this year. I did all the Kaplan Books and Videos, then I do Pathoma and Sketchy Micro. Then I started with First Aid while I was doing Kaplan Qbank, I finished Kaplan Qbank, and right know i have about 3 weeks doing Uworld, I have done only 30% of it. Today, I decided to take my first NBME, I took NBME 13 and I got 190, honestly I feel really really really devastated, depressed, frustrated because I failed it,  I'm putting a lot of effort to this exam, and I only got that score! I don't know how I have to reestructure the way i was studying? What I have to do know? How much Can I improve from that score? I was planning to take the exam between February and March but honestly with the result of today I don't know what to do, I'm really afraid to fail the real exam or worse to have a low score Please if you can help me, I will appreciate so much. When should I Take the other Nbme, I mean how many time should I wait to take the next? How much is possible to improve in terms of Score? What should I do to improve? Thank you so much, and God bless you! Have a good night!

12/6/2018 11:12:12 PM
rbdb142257 wrote:
Avinash Gupta

Biochemistry FA 

Ethics 100 cases

Googling all new words.

Question Banks

Hai...first of all congrats on the score...
I am planning to write my exam by June...I am an IMG...I have to start from the beginning as it’s some since my graduation...so it’s very much needed for me to get really good scores if I need to get in...could you give some suggestions...
Thankyou...

12/13/2018 2:11:18 PM
jpgn689109 wrote:
Congrats Avinash are you in residency ?or appearing for Step 2?

Step 2 was completed in July. Applied for the match.

12/13/2018 2:34:10 PM
ilxn520000 wrote:
rbdb142257 wrote:
Avinash Gupta

Biochemistry FA 

Ethics 100 cases

Googling all new words.

Question Banks

Hai...first of all congrats on the score...
I am planning to write my exam by June...I am an IMG...I have to start from the beginning as it’s some since my graduation...so it’s very much needed for me to get really good scores if I need to get in...could you give some suggestions...
Thankyou...

Watch Kaplan Anatomy Physiology and Biochemistry videos. (If your Anatomy and Physiology is weak then do BRS after that )
Watch USMLE Rx videos with Lectures by Dr Taher. Ask him for guidance during your dedicated period.
Pathoma is perfect for pathology but Dr Taher covers most of it as I noticed he covers many topics from different resources.
Take All NBMES after classes finish.
Start taking NBMES 2 months prior to your exam.
Have a great day

7/10/2019 2:32:18 AM
Is it possible for a beginner to finish all steps by next year. How many months should I give for step 1 ?

10/16/2019 10:37:55 AM
rtiy762790 wrote:
Is it possible for a beginner to finish all steps by next year. How many months should I give for step 1 ?

It is possible but it also depends on your basics, If basics are poor then you need to spend more time in strengthening your concepts. For Step 1 you can give 7-8 months. Most of our group fellows finished within 7-10 months.

10/28/2019 11:48:41 PM
rbdb142257 wrote:
Avinash Gupta

Biochemistry FA 

Ethics 100 cases

Googling all new words.

Question Banks

Congrats! How many hours did u study everyday?

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK