Intra- vs. inter-molecular covalent bonding?

7/26/2018 7:28:23 PM
Can anyone provide examples of two different situations where these types of bonding would take place? There seems to be a very fine line between the explanations anywhere I look..

7/27/2018 9:27:53 AM
I dont even think there is such a thing as intermolecular covalent bonding. Intramolecular forces are the forces that hold atoms together within a molecule which include ionic and covalent bonds. Intermolecular forces are forces that exist between molecules including hydrogen bonding, london dispersion, and dipole dipole interactions. Just remember intra=same and inter=different.

Source:https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/mcat/chemical-processes/covalent-bonds/a/intramolecular-and-intermolecular-forces

7/27/2018 1:52:45 PM
Hmmm.. I'm only inquiring because I held the same thought process as you, until I was doing a question on AAMC's practice exam that had both listed as options - and the correct answer for the question was "inter-molecular covalent bonding" Now I've been wondering how that's even possible between molecules

7/29/2018 3:33:34 PM
Thats what they do in the MCAT. They make up words just to throw you off, especially the P/S section. If you break apart the words, you know its not real.

7/30/2018 3:11:12 PM
I think an example of intermolecular covalent bonding would be in quaternary structure. Two subunits distinct but covalent bound none-the-less.

7/30/2018 5:37:34 PM
Their question gave an example of a "compound 1" (ONLY reagent; containing some cysteine residues among others in its primary structure) that undergoes some reaction with I2 as a catalyst to form a "compound 2" - then the question states for you to identify the type of bonding exhibited during the process. The answer basically says "intermolecular covalent bonding" is correct because their logic is that multiple compound 1 molecules covalently bond to form compound 2 molecules..

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK