Social & Personal Identity vs Group Identification

5/29/2019 11:29:04 PM
Ran into a problem that needed me to differentiate between the two. I understand that social identity refers to things that are most likely demographics a census would ask for. But the example that they gave for group identification was "pre-med." Does anyone know how to truly differentiate between the two? Also, how do you differentiate between Personal identity and group identification?

5/30/2019 12:13:21 AM
Identity in general deals with self-concept which is based upon your own society/group/etc and the relationship to those people (Favorite child, teacher's pet). When you think group ID, think what characteristics does everyone within the group share. (Pre-med-all want to be medical students/doctors)

5/30/2019 5:39:11 PM
Wait. So what is the difference then between those three terms. Because they all have slightly different definitions. Like how do I know if "pre-med" is a social identity, personal identity, or group identification? The answer also gives the example of "bookworm" for personal identity but couldn't that label also fit under the definition of group identification?

5/31/2019 7:50:46 PM
Think about how you would describe yourself. You wouldn't say you and a group of friends are bookworms, a group of people who love books are more like avid readers. Think social (what people say I am), personal (How I feel about myself), group (How we as a group fit together).

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK