How to focus on reading the questions during exam?

7/21/2012 4:12:11 PM
Hi folks... I'm giving my step 3 in 2 weeks... I'd appreciate it if someone threw in some tips on how to not lose focus during the exam (and feel like pulling your hair out)

I thought I'd done a good deal of studying - I know my MTB and uworld step 3 pretty well.. I took the uworld self-assessment exam and was discouraged to find that I scored a 470/210... I also scored 75% on the usmle.org question blocks (I'd hoped to score at least 80%)

I guess my main problem was actually reading the questions and finishing on time... There's so much information there that I get so bored and have to force myself to read the details... I know that if I had a little more time to spend on each question, I could do really well...

MTB and uworld alone cannot thoroughly prepare you for this exam...

My advice, practice only in timed mode (not even timed-tutor)... Time constraint and lengthy questions are the villains in this exam...

Helpful tips and advice are welcome!

7/22/2012 1:23:00 PM
People who have taken this exam don't have a reason to return to the uworld site anymore! They'll be like - Good riddance!

Anyways, I feel the same way - it's more stressful to read questions more than anything else. I read somewhere that you should eat nutritious food and get good sleep...

7/31/2012 6:12:11 AM
watsupdoc wrote:
Hi folks... I'm giving my step 3 in 2 weeks... I'd appreciate it if someone threw in some tips on how to not lose focus during the exam (and feel like pulling your hair out)

I thought I'd done a good deal of studying - I know my MTB and uworld step 3 pretty well.. I took the uworld self-assessment exam and was discouraged to find that I scored a 470/210... I also scored 75% on the usmle.org question blocks (I'd hoped to score at least 80%)

I guess my main problem was actually reading the questions and finishing on time... There's so much information there that I get so bored and have to force myself to read the details... I know that if I had a little more time to spend on each question, I could do really well...

MTB and uworld alone cannot thoroughly prepare you for this exam...

My advice, practice only in timed mode (not even timed-tutor)... Time constraint and lengthy questions are the villains in this exam...

Helpful tips and advice are welcome!

1)I din't read each and every tiny detail given in the question. I rather skimmed through the question to pick up any abnormal finding mentioned. I guess it helped me a lot during the exam.. Practice doing that by re-doing the uworld even if u got just a week or so.. It helps..

2)In the real exam, I tried not to try to score each every question. What I meant was, most of the questions in the step 3 are protocol based as you might have observed in uworld qbank. If the answer dint strike to u right at the beginning, there s 90% chance that it wont strike even after u give the question a whole 1-2 mins of thought. I just marked whatever I FELT was right and moved on to the next question. It really helped me a lot.

3) Practice CCS. A decent performance in CCS will help you. And its easy to give a decent performance by repeated practice.

Good Luck to you!! I dont mind any further queries.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK