My step 2 CK experience

7/26/2012 11:52:31 AM
I got my CK result yesterday, can’t believe that I made it. It’s 267/87. My step 1 score is 238/99. I have been a silent reader of this forum for a while, and now it’s my turn to pay back.
My preparation
NBME form 3 (2 weeks before ) – 252
UWSA (1 week before) – 263
I did other NBME forms offline. Kaplan Q bank didn’t help a lot, also is Q book. They are only for reviewing things that u missed in studying lecture notes, not for the exam preparation. For first aid, it’s up to u. I didn’t read it.
The important thing is u be familiar with all the things in Kaplan lecture notes.
Do u world as many times as u can. I did it 3 -4 rounds. Make sure u understand all the choices in the stem for both correct and incorrect questions. Like why this is out, and that is in. It may take a long time, but be patient, it really helps a lot in the real exam.
For the NBME, I searched for all the answers both online and referring books.
When u are taking self-assessment exams, u may feel depressed if u get low score. But my suggestion is don’t depress, don’t panic at urself. Think what self-assessment exams mean to u. They are like a tool that points out our weakness. They do not predict our performance on the real exam. I am writing this because I had felt the same way too. It’s okay as long as u fill up ur weakness with ur strength.

My exam experience
As expected, the questions are long, and time is tough. Make sure u manage ur time well. Questions are not as tricky as U world. But, there are some questions about bedside managing which are difficult to me as I have no clinical experience. Also, ethics questions are confusing. But don’t worry, it’s manageable.
I got 3 drug ads and abs questions. My technique is I left 5 minutes for those and skipped them till all the others are answered. They are not as difficult as U world. For one drug ads question, I even got the answer directly on the advertisement. So, be ease about it.
I was so tired in the middle of the 6th block. I didn’t fell asleep the night before exam. That is terrible. But I keep faith in me. U also, friends all around the world , don’t lose ur faith. Be stand fast to ur goal. This is a long journey, and I believe we will meet at the end surrounded by success.

7/27/2012 3:34:33 PM
Hi Dr.Melon,
Congrads on a great score. WOOOOOOW!!!!
I badly need your advise.
I studied kaplan lecture notes for few months and did UW (subjectwise) and revised all the explanations. There was a long gap due personal reasons.Then started again with MTB2&3 and did UW mixed and timed,only did few blocks,Overall correct was 66%. I did NBME 1 i got 190/158. I am shattered and very nervous and very worried. Atleast I expected to pass. I am planning to take exam end of august but I am not sure. I have not taken step1.

Please Doctor kindly help me and advise me what I should do now????
What is the safe % on UW before assessing with NBME or UWSA??
I have kaplan lecture notes 2007-2008, is that okay or should I buy new ones???
Please DR.Melon kindly advise me how to go about it????? I am sorry to bother you but do help me.I apprecitae your time.My goal is 220 -230,I am very scared even for that.

Thanks a lot!!!! Once again Congradulations on great scores.....

7/27/2012 7:37:52 PM
congrates dr Melon,
n thanku so much for sharing ur experience,
i m new comer at this forum n for Usmle too
i need lot of help...
and ur post has given me hope n confidence
inshaAllah (if Allah (God) wills) one day i'll share my success like u..

7/27/2012 11:34:03 PM
RaGo21985422 wrote:
Hi Dr.Melon,
I studied kaplan lecture notes for few months and did UW (subjectwise) and revised all the explanations. There was a long gap due personal reasons.Then started again with MTB2&3 and did UW mixed and timed,only did few blocks,Overall correct was 66%. I did NBME 1 i got 190/158. I am shattered and very nervous and very worried. Atleast I expected to pass. I am planning to take exam end of august but I am not sure. I have not taken step1.

Please DR.Melon kindly advise me how to go about it????? I am sorry to bother you but do help me.I apprecitae your time.My goal is 220 -230,I am very scared even for that.

First of all, I would like to ask u did u do NBME online. If offline, I'm afraid to tell u that most offline keys are wrong. U have to search them yourself. If online, ur score is not on the safe side. I'm sorry I'll have to say the truth.But, you still have time. Don't feel bad . Put all ur efforts in studying. U'll succeed. Keep faith in yourself.
I'm gonna ask u "Have u studied all the things in Kaplan lecture notes?". Even the least important things? If yes, go on to U world. U said u have read all the explanations in U world, Did u understand all of them? If not, go revise yourself. Study U world and Kaplan lecture notes,and MTB together. I used MTB 2. If in the morning u study U world, then study kaplan in the evening. It's important to study them in the same time. Coz some facts are explained better in uworld than kaplan.Some facts in kaplan are concise.And, U world supplements it.
For the Kaplan lecture notes, if affordable, use the most updated version. I also studied with 2008 and found some management are changing. Mostly preventive medicine. I had to search online. Also, some updates are included in MTB2. And, U world gives me updated mgt. So,it's fine.
I'd say the safe percentage on Uworld before taking NBME or UWSA as 70-80%.
My Final advice is Don't scare about ur goal. U will do it. U can do it.
Now U have only one month left. U'll run out of time if u keep being nervous. Settle down urself and go on study. Your goal will chase after u.

7/28/2012 10:55:12 AM
Dr.Melon wrote:
I got my CK result yesterday, can’t believe that I made it. It’s 267/87. My step 1 score is 238/99. I have been a silent reader of this forum for a while, and now it’s my turn to pay back.
My preparation
I did other NBME forms offline. Kaplan Q bank didn’t help a lot, also is Q book. They are only for reviewing things that u missed in studying lecture notes, not for the exam preparation. For first aid, it’s up to u. I didn’t read it.
The important thing is u be familiar with all the things in Kaplan lecture notes.
Do u world as many times as u can. I did it 3 -4 rounds. Make sure u understand all the choices in the stem for both correct and incorrect questions. Like why this is out, and that is in. It may take a long time, but be patient, it really helps a lot in the real exam.
When u are taking self-assessment exams, u may feel depressed if u get low score. But my suggestion is don’t depress, don’t panic at urself. Think what self-assessment exams mean to u. They are like a tool that points out our weakness. They do not predict our performance on the real exam. I am writing this because I had felt the same way too. It’s okay as long as u fill up ur weakness with ur strength.

My exam experience
As expected, the questions are long, and time is tough. Make sure u manage ur time well. Questions are not as tricky as U world. But, there are some questions about bedside managing which are difficult to me as I have no clinical experience. Also, ethics questions are confusing. But don’t worry, it’s manageable.
I got 3 drug ads and abs questions. My technique is I left 5 minutes for those and skipped them till all the others are answered. They are not as difficult as U world. For one drug ads question, I even got the answer directly on the advertisement. So, be ease about it.
I was so tired in the middle of the 6th block. I didn’t fell asleep the night before exam. That is terrible. But I keep faith in me. U also, friends all around the world , don’t lose ur faith. Be stand fast to ur goal. This is a long journey, and I believe we will meet at the end surrounded by success.

Hi doctor,

Congratulations for the great score & thanks for sharing your exam experience.
I've a question regarding time management in the exam. You mentioned that questions are long & time is tough. I'm worried about the time for CK exam, because in step 1 exam, I could hardly finish each block & couldn't get time to review.
Please doc, give me advise on how to manage the time, how to read the questions & answers quickly. Your advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

7/28/2012 1:20:34 PM
Hi,
Congrats on ur great score.Need to ask u that did u study Surgery and Psychology from KAPLAN notes aswell.
THANKS

7/28/2012 3:05:54 PM
ShLA05 wrote:
Dr.Melon wrote:
My preparation

My exam experience

Hi doctor,

Congratulations for the great score & thanks for sharing your exam experience.
I've a question regarding time management in the exam. You mentioned that questions are long & time is tough. I'm worried about the time for CK exam, because in step 1 exam, I could hardly finish each block & couldn't get time to review.
Please doc, give me advise on how to manage the time, how to read the questions & answers quickly. Your advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

About time management, u'll have to train quick scanning. I read myself very carefully the first two lines of the question. Once I got the point, I scanned others quickly , like vital signs , and any turning points in the question.
Like in the question,the first line, important point is Age, Gender, and chief complaint. I'd read this 2 times quickly. And, at the end , read carefully what the question asks. If i found important things in the whole question, i'd highlight without first thinking about the answer. Then only after finishing whole question would I start to find out the answer. I'd try to sum up all the positive facts and start solving.
I think that's important in step two which is unlike step one in which u got the answer after reading the question. Step two is clinical. Many disease presents the same. So, don't cram yourself about the answer till u have finished reading all the questions. That would save time I think.

My point is try to train urself finding important points in the question.
Get familiar with each question style,especially where they usually hide important points , where they usually give turning points.
Good luck.

7/28/2012 3:11:08 PM
finza911 wrote:
Hi,
Congrats on ur great score.Need to ask u that did u study Surgery and Psychology from KAPLAN notes aswell.
THANKS

My answer is Yes.
For surgery, the clinical scenarios are very important.
For Psychology, the cases in u world , also in NBME are good. It's important to study psychology with various cases. Even in major depression, there are many presentations. With which I always get confused is differences between Major depression and adjustment disorder. In some questions, also mistake with Generalize Anxiety Disorder.
So, u'll have to understand the various presentations.
Good luck

7/28/2012 10:23:10 PM
Hi doctor Melon,
Congrats on your great score and thanks for all the advices. I have 3 months left til my exam.
I did 63% of questions on UW so far (always timed,unused and mixed)but my over all correct stays 55%.I spend a lot of time on each explanation for both incorrect and correct answers. I noticed your comment regarding scoring 70 to 80% on UW, did you mean on the first attempt or as a cumulative of doing it many times?
Also I was planning on doing UWSA now to have enough time to identify my weakness, with 55% correct on qbank do you suggest I wait?
The materials I use are UW, Kaplan notes, Crush step 2 and MTB 2.

7/28/2012 11:46:53 PM
NaCa15970244 wrote:
Hi doctor Melon,
Congrats on your great score and thanks for all the advices. I have 3 months left til my exam.
I did 63% of questions on UW so far (always timed,unused and mixed)but my over all correct stays 55%.I spend a lot of time on each explanation for both incorrect and correct answers. I noticed your comment regarding scoring 70 to 80% on UW, did you mean on the first attempt or as a cumulative of doing it many times?
Also I was planning on doing UWSA now to have enough time to identify my weakness, with 55% correct on qbank do you suggest I wait?
The materials I use are UW, Kaplan notes, Crush step 2 and MTB 2.

I'm afraid to suggest u it's not time for u to do UWSA. U still have 3 months left. A lot time to go. Don't be so hurry. There is only one UWSA, once u do it , there's no turning back. For the first time takers, UW 55% is not so bad. But, u still have a lot to improve. For me, when I took it first time, I also got 15 to 20 questions wrong in each block. I retook over and over again, and finally after so many times , I improved to 91% to 95% correct. That's after at least 3 -4 times of reviewing explanations. I mean the whole q bank , so it's gonna take u a long long time. U have to be patient. There's no quick way to success.
When u feel that u are in the condition for the exam, that's time for u to take the UWSA ( mostly 2-4 weeks before exam if u'r afraid that u won't have enough time to review).But, certainly not 3 months before.
So, my advice is first finish unused UW. Don't study UW alone. Use it with Kaplan Lecture notes. Once u got one wrong, look out in Kaplan first, and then match it with U world explanations. Then, take notes. Write down diseases not included in Kaplan. Find out the major differences between similar disease presentations. Pinpoint the fact that leads u to correct answer. Although u will end up the whole day just by finishing 2 blocks, it will definitely boost up ur score.

7/30/2012 10:44:07 AM
I'm really glad I read your post, it gave me a boost of encouragement. I truly appreciate your advices. Now I'll work on improving my score before UWSA. Thanks!

7/30/2012 4:36:52 PM
Dr.Melon, How were you able to repeat Uworld without having to reset the Qbank? Is there a technique to repeating the Qs for the 2nd and 3rd time without them reappearing?

7/31/2012 2:03:04 AM
NaCa15970244 wrote:
I'm really glad I read your post, it gave me a boost of encouragement. I truly appreciate your advices. Now I'll work on improving my score before UWSA. Thanks!

I'm also glad that my words help u ... GOOD LUCK!!!

7/31/2012 2:10:26 AM
KiGa46405095 wrote:
Dr.Melon, How were you able to repeat Uworld without having to reset the Qbank? Is there a technique to repeating the Qs for the 2nd and 3rd time without them reappearing?

There's no technique ...first finish unused, then all used and unused, if one question is repeated, just rethink it like the unused ones. Some questions in U world are very similar, same scenario but different answers just because some facts are changed. After many rounds, work out for wrong ones. Then, marked ones.

If u face questions u have already took, then think about other answers. Eg. If the correct answer were C, think when u would mark A. If B were the correct answer, which facts should be given. That will improve your analyzing power I believe. Good luck!

8/1/2012 5:19:31 PM
Thanks Dr.Melon! You are so helpful. Also, two days before my exam - what should I do? Keep doing questions and read?

8/2/2012 5:47:56 AM
KiGa46405095 wrote:
Thanks Dr.Melon! You are so helpful. Also, two days before my exam - what should I do? Keep doing questions and read?

After many months of preparation, I believe u have already reached a level of readiness for the exam. So, all u need to do now is take a break. Don't do any new questions.
Review your notes. Review the facts u mostly forget. Reduce your anxiety.
Good luck

8/2/2012 8:30:50 PM
congratulations!!!!!!!! great work!!

How did you manage the breaks in the exam??

8/3/2012 11:33:03 AM
MaAq70551961 wrote:
congratulations!!!!!!!! great work!!

How did you manage the breaks in the exam??

I took 2 blocks and 10 -15 mins break in between.

8/4/2012 1:34:21 PM
Hi Dr Melon,
Thanks a lot for your time and also for the valuable advise. I have made a study plan according to your advise. Doing UW with kaplan is a valuable advise,it helps me remembering things better.Dr.Melon I did the online nbme 1.
Dr.melon I will need your guidance then and now with my step2ck preparation,so should I post my queries in the forum or can we keep in touch via email. Dr.melon whichever is convenient for you. My email is [email protected]

Once again thanks a lot for your advise. Thanks so much!!!

8/4/2012 1:37:12 PM
Dr.Melon wrote:
RaGo21985422 wrote:
Hi Dr.Melon,

First of all, I would like to ask u did u do NBME online. If offline, I'm afraid to tell u that most offline keys are wrong. U have to search them yourself. If online, ur score is not on the safe side. I'm sorry I'll have to say the truth.But, you still have time. Don't feel bad . Put all ur efforts in studying. U'll succeed. Keep faith in yourself.
I'm gonna ask u "Have u studied all the things in Kaplan lecture notes?". Even the least important things? If yes, go on to U world. U said u have read all the explanations in U world, Did u understand all of them? If not, go revise yourself. Study U world and Kaplan lecture notes,and MTB together. I used MTB 2. If in the morning u study U world, then study kaplan in the evening. It's important to study them in the same time. Coz some facts are explained better in uworld than kaplan.Some facts in kaplan are concise.And, U world supplements it.
For the Kaplan lecture notes, if affordable, use the most updated version. I also studied with 2008 and found some management are changing. Mostly preventive medicine. I had to search online. Also, some updates are included in MTB2. And, U world gives me updated mgt. So,it's fine.
I'd say the safe percentage on Uworld before taking NBME or UWSA as 70-80%.
My Final advice is Don't scare about ur goal. U will do it. U can do it.
Now U have only one month left. U'll run out of time if u keep being nervous. Settle down urself and go on study. Your goal will chase after u.

Hi Dr Melon,
Thanks a lot for your time and also for the valuable advise. I have made a study plan according to your advise. Doing UW with kaplan is a valuable advise,it helps me remembering things better.Dr.Melon I did the online nbme 1.
Dr.melon I will need your guidance then and now with my step2ck preparation,so should I post my queries in the forum or can we keep in touch via email. Dr.melon whichever is convenient for you. My email is [email protected]

Once again thanks a lot for your advise. Thanks so much!!!

8/4/2012 1:46:55 PM
Dr.Melon,
Thank you for your help. Your advice really seems to be helping me. I took UWSA= 211. NBME 3= 193 &NBME 2= 223. This was all within a week. My test is in ONE day. Tell me what you think, please and Thank you again for your help.

8/4/2012 9:56:54 PM
KiGa46405095 wrote:
Dr.Melon,
Thank you for your help. Your advice really seems to be helping me. I took UWSA= 211. NBME 3= 193 &NBME 2= 223. This was all within a week. My test is in ONE day. Tell me what you think, please and Thank you again for your help.

I am very pleased to hear about your improvement.
I believe u'll get your achievement in the real exam.
In the exam, be confident in your choice. Keep a moderate level of anxiety. And,Don't get panic.
Wishing u the best of luck...

8/4/2012 10:07:26 PM
[/quote]
Hi Dr Melon,

Once again thanks a lot for your advise. Thanks so much!!![/quote]

I hope my suggestions will work.
I'll do as much as I can to reply u. You can post your queries here as others will also see and learn from it too.

8/5/2012 11:56:52 PM
Dr.Melon,
Thanks for your encouraging words. I pushed my date 10 days. I think I needed more time to review. I really want to score in the 230's atleast. In the next 7 days, I am doing 4 blocks Uworld, Master the boards from cover to cover and reviewing notes the last three days. I think I will be ready.
Thanks again for your help. You're seriously helping me get through this.

9/26/2012 11:05:12 AM
Dr. Melon,
I received my score today. I PASSED!!! Thank you for your help throughout. I really appreciate it. Wish you the best in the future.

pages: 1 2

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK