bad nbme score...

9/9/2012 7:13:25 AM
hello guys!!

i am done with step 1, 2 cs and ck and am apllying for match..
i have no u s clinical experience and have chosen a date for step 3 on sept 24.....i have been preparing only for the last one month with uworld and kaplan CS notes

i got a really horrible score on nbme form 2 (220/800) and so if compared to the approximate scores of step 3 exam it turns out to be around 137....

am i calculating right or is the score correlation of step 3 is different from steps 1 and 2 on nbme???

is it wise to try giving the exam in the next two months or to forget it for now and worry about it at the end of residency .
better to concentrate on application for match now rite??
help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edited by alingannan on 9/9/2012

9/12/2012 3:35:20 PM
alingannan wrote:
hello guys!!

i am done with step 1, 2 cs and ck and am apllying for match..
i have no u s clinical experience and have chosen a date for step 3 on sept 24.....i have been preparing only for the last one month with uworld and kaplan CS notes

i got a really horrible score on nbme form 2 (220/800) and so if compared to the approximate scores of step 3 exam it turns out to be around 137....

am i calculating right or is the score correlation of step 3 is different from steps 1 and 2 on nbme???

is it wise to try giving the exam in the next two months or to forget it for now and worry about it at the end of residency .
better to concentrate on application for match now rite??
help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edited by alingannan on 9/9/2012

Well all I can do is share my exp with the Beast and you can judge for yourself. I took the exam 4 weeks ago got my results last wed and I passed. I studied for about a month or so (maybe less). I used MTB 3 and UWorld qbank and did the Kaplan q bank for the last 2 weeks (which was not as useful as UWorld). I took NBME 1 got a 310 2 weeks before the exam and freaked out ... but I had no way to find a correlation with the real exam score. So I studied really hard for a week and took NBME 2 and got a 320.. I almost wanted to cancel my exam but then I decided to take the UWorld simulated practice exam and I got a 570 on it which was about a 230 on the exam. As you can imagine I had no idea where I stood however I did know that I was scoring about 60% avg on UWorld and about 65% on kaplan. I knew I had used all the resources that was available to me. I did the CCS by UWorld about twice .. I did a few cases more than 2 times (which I think is enough for the exam). So took it upon myself and took the exam and passed with a 210.... Not great but my residency just needs me to PASS so I can move on.
I hope this information helps you. The only thing I can gather about the nbme's is..for step 3 it is not a good tool to evaluate your performance on the exam as it does on step 1 and step 2.

Good Luck!

9/13/2012 9:31:03 AM
Thanku Doc..

I Will try the UWorld Exam as well be4 i take a decision...

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn More
   I Accept