freaking out after step 1

6/24/2014 3:26:51 PM
i had my step 1 exam yesterday and i'm still trying to answer some Qs on my head, couldn't sleep well my dreams were all about the MCQs and i woke up immediately to recheck on the answers.

i did lots and lots of studying for this exam. my last NBME (nbme 15) i got 241 but it was self paced (un timed) and my u world cumulative 2nd round was 73%..
but the real exam was hard and felt like it doesn't depend a lot on your knowledge ,, i had 3-4 *** Qs. i ended up by marking 13-15 MCQs per block. i made 4-5 stupid stupid mistakes i immediately remembered them as soon as i arrived home.

in u world i usually have 10 mins extra time to review my marked Q but on the real exam i couldn't ,, i hardly do them all by time.
i will share my experience after i get my result.

i was planning to do my clinical rotation and start with step 2CK then step 3 to be ready for the match but now i feel lost.

i heard that 20% of the exam is experimental but i really don't know if that is true or not. ppl say that if u passed the test, u should be answering 75% Qs correct in each block,, that is really scary i was hoping on getting 250 but now 230 will be great but i really don't know if i will get the 230 or not.

if any of u had the same feeling please tell me what did u do.

6/24/2014 4:49:10 PM
ibtehalkimawi wrote:
i had my step 1 exam yesterday and i'm still trying to answer some Qs on my head, couldn't sleep well my dreams were all about the MCQs and i woke up immediately to recheck on the answers.

i did lots and lots of studying for this exam. my last NBME (nbme 15) i got 241 but it was self paced (un timed) and my u world cumulative 2nd round was 73%..
but the real exam was hard and felt like it doesn't depend a lot on your knowledge ,, i had 3-4 *** Qs. i ended up by marking 13-15 MCQs per block. i made 4-5 stupid stupid mistakes i immediately remembered them as soon as i arrived home.

in u world i usually have 10 mins extra time to review my marked Q but on the real exam i couldn't ,, i hardly do them all by time.
i will share my experience after i get my result.

i was planning to do my clinical rotation and start with step 2CK then step 3 to be ready for the match but now i feel lost.

i heard that 20% of the exam is experimental but i really don't know if that is true or not. ppl say that if u passed the test, u should be answering 75% Qs correct in each block,, that is really scary i was hoping on getting 250 but now 230 will be great but i really don't know if i will get the 230 or not.

if any of u had the same feeling please tell me what did u do.
heyyy dont panic much ..be happy tht its done in the first place ......i have not given the exam yet but i can understand how it feels.......just try to not to think about it ............
edited by on 6/24/2014

6/25/2014 2:09:57 PM
Don't worry...
I took my exam on June 17th and to be honest, I think it was more difficult than UWorld. Just my personal opinion.
At first, I thought because I'm an IMG and I could simply miss some important concepts while studying but I've read somewhere that people who took the actual exam after May 15th have the same feeling...
Before my exam I read lots and lots of opinions stating that the exam is easier than UWorld which appeared to be a nonsense if goes to my exam.

Questions were long and complicated. Yes, i made a few stupid mistakes but there were so many questions that I can't even recall and I could never say that yes, I answered correctly on incorrectly...
I'm trying not to freak out and wait for the results.

Let's hope we made it!

Bes, Agnieszka

6/27/2014 7:02:10 PM
Also took my exam May 16..It was hard, sure there were easy questions here and there but a lot of weird questions as well and a lot of questions where you're not really sure if you answered it correctly or not..Overall though, I felt like no additional time would have prepared me for the questions that I did not get/had no idea about because it was not in any of the books that I read so Im just hoping that those are all experimental questions..and 3 nights after my test I also kept remembering the easy questions I got that I missed, and counted up to 12 mistakes just from browsing first aid which sucks..So I just stopped and tried not to think about it anymore.But now I'm feeling the pressure again that July is almost here..I hope we all passed! Goodluck to us all!

7/14/2014 6:55:48 PM
man i feel the same way. Did mine june 24. Have u guys gotten your results as yet?

7/14/2014 7:56:45 PM
Hi every one,
I hope you will find my post reassuring! I took my exam on May 20, 2014. To be frank, it was really hard and I was not sure wether I did wel or not. I had night mares and was very anxious waiting for the result. It was posted on Wednsday and I am glad to learn that my result actually far exceeded my expectation given the feeling I had after the exam. I got 261! Yes the exam was far tougher than u'rld Qs and some of them are not properly adressed by step 1 preparation materials that I came across but I guess the result will be much better than the feeling you have right now. Wish you all the best!

7/14/2014 10:00:49 PM
Awesome thats amazing!!! What where your self assessments like?

7/14/2014 10:50:43 PM
My u world second round was 92%, I did u world self assessment 1 2 months befor the exam, got 259 and ass't 2 two weeks earlier from the exam date with 265. I did Nbme 16 a few weeks earlier and result was 245 while NBME 7 was 251. I did all assessments standard paced and u world also timed.

7/15/2014 6:16:40 AM
Congratulations . You had done a great job.
Can yiu help with the prep strategy ? I have set a target of 6 months prep . How many hours you had studied per day??

7/15/2014 7:47:12 AM
Can anyone of the recent takers please guide me as to how to go on about anatomy?i heard that they have started asking more surgical anatomy questions.so will kaplan be sufficient?I dont remember coming across any surgical related info in kaplan.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK