Steps vs. Master

1/26/2015 3:17:44 PM
Hello, I moved to the US a couple of months ago. I am an IMG and I’m interested in pursuing a career in Public Health. I know that in order to start a residency here I should take the USMLE Steps, and after applying and, hopefully getting into one, I should have two or three years of clinical practice (Family Medicine - Internal Medicine - Pediatrics) before applying to a Public Health Residency. I think those are the steps, I’m not sure if all of them are ok. Does anyone know if it’s “easier”, or at least more convenient to start a Master in Public Health? Is anyone doing this? And also, does the work choices are much different being a Board Certified Doctor or just someone with a Master? Thanks a lot. I really don’t know what to do right now.

2/12/2015 7:46:40 PM
AgustinaA wrote:
Hello, I moved to the US a couple of months ago. I am an IMG and I’m interested in pursuing a career in Public Health. I know that in order to start a residency here I should take the USMLE Steps, and after applying and, hopefully getting into one, I should have two or three years of clinical practice (Family Medicine - Internal Medicine - Pediatrics) before applying to a Public Health Residency. I think those are the steps, I’m not sure if all of them are ok. Does anyone know if it’s “easier”, or at least more convenient to start a Master in Public Health? Is anyone doing this? And also, does the work choices are much different being a Board Certified Doctor or just someone with a Master? Thanks a lot. I really don’t know what to do right now.

Hi, I am an img studying for the step one now, but I am thinking to do a Master on HEalth administration or Public Health, I contacted the school I am interested and I am glad to hear that I qualify even that I am not board certified yet, I am sure it will give me more chances to get in to the residency program, because is not good to show gaps in your resume, can you tell me more about the Master in Public Health?

Good luck

2/13/2015 3:38:00 PM
AgustinaA wrote:

Getting a Masters in public health and getting a residency are two DIFFERENT things. Usually, some students will get an MPH to help "increase" their chances of getting a residency spot. I mean, regardless of how you look at it, having an MPH looks good on your resume when applying for a residency spot. If you want to concentrate on getting a residency, then you should focus on doing your STEP 1, AND step 2. If you want to get an MPH , first...then go ahead. Get the MPH and then study for your STEP 1 and STEP 2 exam. and then apply for residency. I got my own MPH before starting medical school. I am currently in medical school ..so by the time I am ready to apply for residency, I will be applying as an MPH holder. I dont know what a "PUBLIC HEALTH" residency means. I dont think I have ever heard about that. Goodluck.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK