Can anyone answer this question from NBME 7

6/21/2016 5:00:22 PM
I put splenectomy and got it wrong

1) An 18 y/o woman comes to the physician because of a 3 day history of fatigue and yellow eyes. She has a history of mild anemia. Her temp is 36.7oC (98.7oF), pulse is 82/min, respiration is 14/min, and blood pressure is 105/60mmhg. There is scleral icterus. Examination shows multiple 1-cm, cervical lymph node that are mildly tender.

Hb 8.6mg/dl
MCHC 38% Hb/cell
Serum total bilirubin 3mg/dl
A direct antiglobulin (coombs) test is negative. A blood smear is shown. Which of the following is most likely to have prevented this patients current symptoms?

A) Intravenous IgG therapy
B) Monthly transfusion of packed red blood cells
C) Prednisolone therapy
D) Bone marrow transplant
E) Splenectomy
F) No preventive measures are efficacious

The image provided seem to look like hereditary spherocytosis (lots of spherocytes)to me but not a 100% sure

6/24/2016 1:01:40 PM
michaels.jonathan wrote:
I put splenectomy and got it wrong

1) An 18 y/o woman comes to the physician because of a 3 day history of fatigue and yellow eyes. She has a history of mild anemia. Her temp is 36.7oC (98.7oF), pulse is 82/min, respiration is 14/min, and blood pressure is 105/60mmhg. There is scleral icterus. Examination shows multiple 1-cm, cervical lymph node that are mildly tender.

Hb 8.6mg/dl
MCHC 38% Hb/cell
Serum total bilirubin 3mg/dl
A direct antiglobulin (coombs) test is negative. A blood smear is shown. Which of the following is most likely to have prevented this patients current symptoms?

A) Intravenous IgG therapy
B) Monthly transfusion of packed red blood cells
C) Prednisolone therapy
D) Bone marrow transplant
E) Splenectomy
F) No preventive measures are efficacious

The image provided seem to look like hereditary spherocytosis (lots of spherocytes)to me but not a 100% sure

snap a clear picture of both question and peripheral smear to my email: [email protected]

I am willing to assist you answer the question.

6/26/2016 6:09:31 AM
I also selected "Splenectomy" and got it correct.

6/26/2016 3:50:18 PM
nidhi2012 wrote:
I also selected "Splenectomy" and got it correct.

I already replied Mr. michaels.jonathan

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK