Scored 252/99; my advice to those taking CK

10/17/2011 9:24:47 PM
Got my scores few days back and I'm soooooo happy.

Wrote the test on Sep 22, got scores on Oct 12.

I studied for about 3 months (with some interruptions and so I would say a good 3 months of studying is much more than enough).

My studying materials were: Did one round of quick kaplan notes review; then UW questions with First Aid, Step II CK (First Aid for Step II is definitely not as good as the one for Step I but it worked just fine for me; I was taking my notes from UW and writing them on First Aid which made it more complete for a review). I then went thru a second round of UW with more focus on the questions that I had gotten wrong and questions I had marked.

I did one NBME about a month earlier but it was not a good assessment and I didn't do any NBME towards the end (was scared that I might change my test date/postpone and I was getting fed up with the whole thing). But I would probably suggest to do an NBME assessment prior to taking the exam.

Good luck to everyone
S

10/18/2011 9:48:01 AM
Hey, that is a really great score!!! congraaaaaats
I have a question though not something you usually hear people ask. Here it goes: I graduated on 2009 and since then I have never practiced neither did internship nor clinical attachments whatsoever. My question is would lack of experience affect my step2 preparation? Do I have to be clinically exposed to cases so as to ease up my step 2 ck preparation or it doesn't really make much of a difference?? An honest feedback would be really appreciated from you.
Once again, congrats to your ultimate victory and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

10/18/2011 10:20:27 PM
congrats a lot....

10/20/2011 12:30:48 PM
congrats.
good luck for the rest. and thanks for the advice

10/21/2011 12:57:54 PM
Thank you all for the good wishes and good luck to you too.......

@ SaAl: I probably would think that some clinical experience may help you get a hunch of the overall picture; but otherwise, you are going to be just fine b/c the preparation materials do prepare you quiet well and your clinical experience may not present as the most important factor here. And you have to remember that the CK is designed to be taken for students right at the end of their clinical rotation in medical school (before they get to have clinical experiences). It is just that, as foreign medical graduates, most people get a chance to work in their home-country and so have clinical experience.
So in conclusion, I would say you are going to be just fine if you focus on the study materials and prepare well.

Best wishes........

10/22/2011 8:56:12 AM
@ SeTe: Thank u sooooo much. Your response really means alot

11/4/2011 9:08:13 AM
SeTe71844319 wrote:
Got my scores few days back and I'm soooooo happy.

Wrote the test on Sep 22, got scores on Oct 12.

I studied for about 3 months (with some interruptions and so I would say a good 3 months of studying is much more than enough).

My studying materials were: Did one round of quick kaplan notes review; then UW questions with First Aid, Step II CK (First Aid for Step II is definitely not as good as the one for Step I but it worked just fine for me; I was taking my notes from UW and writing them on First Aid which made it more complete for a review). I then went thru a second round of UW with more focus on the questions that I had gotten wrong and questions I had marked.

I did one NBME about a month earlier but it was not a good assessment and I didn't do any NBME towards the end (was scared that I might change my test date/postpone and I was getting fed up with the whole thing). But I would probably suggest to do an NBME assessment prior to taking the exam.

Good luck to everyone
S

hi,congrats 4 ur scores...
i m giving ck towards end of dec,i hv covered kaplan twice, uworld once..
i just gave UWSA,but the scores were ntas expected..
need some advice

11/4/2011 10:21:11 AM
Hi

I would probably suggest to go thru the UW 2nd round along with reading First AId or Master the boards or..... (whatever it is that you have decided to use; I used First Aid and it worked nicely for me.....).

All the best....
S

11/5/2011 2:47:37 AM
hello SeTe; congrats to you getting very good score . i hope you will reply b/c in this forum nobody replying . i want to sak you real exam questions are similar to usmle q bank.how about the psychiatry/ ethics .how many questions they ask regarding psych/ethics. i appreciate your help reply me soon. thanks SHME

11/7/2011 7:20:31 AM
Congratulations

I have a question for you ,,

After taking the real exam ,, what was harder
UW harder than the real one
or the real one harder than UW

???

11/7/2011 9:23:18 AM
Hi...

@SHME: Yes I would say the real exam is quiet similar to the UW; or this is how I would put it.... The thinking process is the same.....UW is the closest 'USMLE oriented' material I cam across to....... And as for the Psych questions, thought I can't really say how many questions there were, there were definitely number of questions on that. I would prob think similar number to what we had on Step I. (hope this answers ur question).

@ Yachtman: I would probably say they have the similar level of difficulty; but again, what i really appreciate abt UW is that it really helps us 'think' or remember things in the way that is required for the real exam; the thought process is similar. (hope this answers ur question as well). So I believe a good understanding of the materials on UW (and that is why it is usually adviced to go thru it twice - first round helps you get a real grasp of the whole thing and the second round helps consolidate those knowledges so even when twisted questions are posed, you will be able to figure out what the answer may be.)

All the best,
S

11/7/2011 11:15:03 AM
Thanks a lot for your answer ,,

I have one more question please

What was your average score in Kaplan Qbank and UW ,, ?

I'm asking you that cause my average in Kaplan Qbank was 59% and that scared

me a lot so I went through my Kaplan Lecture Notes and Master The Boards

book one more time (the second reading took me 1 more month)before deciding

to go for the UW (I'll finish my second reading today ,, review my notes

tomorrow and start UW in couple of days) ,, So do you have any more advice

for me ?

Thanks again and have a good day

11/7/2011 9:40:01 PM
Hi again,

Somebody else also asked me similar question regarding UW cumulative score and I here is what I wrote:
My first round aggregate was 65%; my final aggregate was 78%. But the final aggregate would prob not be a good assessment b/c I was doing it for the second time, I had not 'reset' it and I was mainly focusing on the questions I had marked and questions I got wrong. So that would mean, i would prob do the questions I have already done more than twice.... which will definitely falsely inflate my scores.

At this point, I would prob advice u to focus on doing second round UW and then review ur note and Master the boards along with that.

All the best....
S

11/8/2011 5:26:38 AM
What about your kaplan Qbank score ?

thanks

11/8/2011 7:16:51 AM
I did not do the Kaplan Q bank.....

All the best,
S

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK