how to prepare for step 3 for the 2nd time

11/19/2011 3:30:08 PM
hi guys i am taking step 3 for the 2nd time , i need your opinion regarding the plan of study:
in the 1st time i studied master the board step 3 , did UWorld 2x and kaplan q bank 1x , prepared for 4 months , score of UW assessment was 210!! which was unreliable to my exam at all.

so, i am now preparing for the 2nd time , i decided to start with master the board step 2 ck in comparison with step 3 then med-study videos and notes and Conrad fisher internal medicine MCQ , UW again and kaplan and USMLE RX ( by first aid anthers ).
what do you think guys should i do else , thanks

11/24/2011 10:02:47 AM
Hello, it seems you prepared well before and this time you may know what are your strong and weak subject areas. Personally the crucial prep was when I went thru all uw multiple choice questions [mcq]and clinical case simulations[ccs], making notes as I went along. Then the next time I reveiwed the mcq and ccs, I looked at ONLY the ones that I did not get right on the first review. I also found it helpful to attend premierreviewdotcom course - it was for one week at a hotel in new york. I talked with my family and friends about the things I had to do and HUMBLY asked for their support as I isolated myself to do the course and afterwards I bought the cd (x 6 cds) for the live course. I made sure to listen to them over and over- topic by topic. As I reviewed the live lecture on cd , I would review the uw mcq nd ccs for that subject area. The exam is a test of endurance as well as knowledge. It will help you for other future situations when you have a timed challenge such as being on call during residency. You will benefit from using relaxation techniques during your studies and talking with your people about why you have to work so hard and probably need their support in one away or the other. Goodluck

11/24/2011 10:29:51 AM
MaMa89427592 wrote:
Hello, it seems you prepared well before and this time you may know what are your strong and weak subject areas. Personally the crucial prep was when I went thru all uw multiple choice questions [mcq]and clinical case simulations[ccs], making notes as I went along. Then the next time I reveiwed the mcq and ccs, I looked at ONLY the ones that I did not get right on the first review. I also found it helpful to attend premierreviewdotcom course - it was for one week at a hotel in new york. I talked with my family and friends about the things I had to do and HUMBLY asked for their support as I isolated myself to do the course and afterwards I bought the cd (x 6 cds) for the live course. I made sure to listen to them over and over- topic by topic. As I reviewed the live lecture on cd , I would review the uw mcq nd ccs for that subject area. The exam is a test of endurance as well as knowledge. It will help you for other future situations when you have a timed challenge such as being on call during residency. You will benefit from using relaxation techniques during your studies and talking with your people about why you have to work so hard and probably need their support in one away or the other. Goodluck

thanks a lot for your support, with best wishes .

11/26/2011 4:50:26 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the valuable feed back.
Is it ok if you dont go through MTB step 3 then ?
Better to do CK lecturenotes again ,premier review,UW mcq's & UW-CCS.
Appreciate any inputs.

11/27/2011 11:13:43 AM
rara39451523 wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the valuable feed back.
Is it ok if you dont go through MTB step 3 then ?
Better to do CK lecturenotes again ,premier review,UW mcq's & UW-CCS.
Appreciate any inputs.

hi , i compered between MTB step 2 ck and MTB step 3 actually , it is very important to read/study MTB for step 3 as the management is very good and thorough in step 3 than in CK so , you have to do it . but in the mean while there some details more in the MTB CK book than MTB step 3. choose which areas you are weak in then study it again from ck (which i am doing now). ,regarding the premier review i found it not important as much as to practice many CCS cases via UWorld , but it helps as a beginner to understand what to do in CCS! UW is a must to do , kaplan Q bank has an updated version last month but the q focus mainly on MTB step 3 book which mean if you studied it very will you can get a high score in the q bank ( i think that they make it worse in my opinion ). i think in step 3 you have to get much information as much as you can especially if u are not a resident which i am trying to do by doing the medstudy videos at least and MKSAP 15 MCQ and conorad fisher internal medicine MCQ. i think this will be enough. one more thing that i noticed in my exam is that there is a lot of ethical/emotional Q and also a various amount of derma pictures , C.T scan , X-ray , U/s , barium study,EKG, MRI . i got all of these in my exam at least 15 q . Good luck and if u have any suggestion or inputs please share , thanks

11/27/2011 5:19:40 PM
sasa15890963 wrote:
Hello emit!
Do you prepare first from books and then do MCQs?

hi guys , i did not take the exam yet! i am starting to study it for the 2nd time. the 1st time i reviewd the MTB step 3 with UW MCQ and Kaplan q bank. i think that the problem of the exam is you should know the management and what to do first very well so most residents know what to do but guys like me who are not residents need to read more and more so if the basic are good you will do fine in step 3 , for me i did it after 1 year from ck so right now i have to do some basic study then build up step 3 again from advanced source , finally i believe that MTB is enough for a resident but not enough for a non-resident !

12/23/2011 1:01:29 AM
i just gave my exam for the second time today. first time i think i just dint know enough! (im not in residency). also, i dint use the right approach or material. i just memorized world and mtb and thought i could pass.
this time - i did Dr Reds lectures over and over again, then MTB to memorize the simple basics. then i did world, and UWSA, learnt from all of it, lastly i did nbme ( i had done it before scored high, but i failed the real thing, so in my case, dint correlate). but i went though all the differentials. today as i sat through the 7 blocks, i thanked god for dr red. cause he goes through all the guidelines and it makes taking the exam so much easier. every question (provided it had guidelines) it was so easy for me to reach an answer. there may have been all in all 20 qs that i was like - what do i really do. alot of biostats! alot atleast 4 in each block. but world covers it well.
stay strong. stay motivated. this is it. the last time.give it what you got. thing of the day youll match, and what it feel like knowing youre done with USMLEs!

12/23/2011 12:19:09 PM
PoAw36682735 wrote:
i just gave my exam for the second time today. first time i think i just dint know enough! (im not in residency). also, i dint use the right approach or material. i just memorized world and mtb and thought i could pass.
this time - i did Dr Reds lectures over and over again, then MTB to memorize the simple basics. then i did world, and UWSA, learnt from all of it, lastly i did nbme ( i had done it before scored high, but i failed the real thing, so in my case, dint correlate). but i went though all the differentials. today as i sat through the 7 blocks, i thanked god for dr red. cause he goes through all the guidelines and it makes taking the exam so much easier. every question (provided it had guidelines) it was so easy for me to reach an answer. there may have been all in all 20 qs that i was like - what do i really do. alot of biostats! alot atleast 4 in each block. but world covers it well.
stay strong. stay motivated. this is it. the last time.give it what you got. thing of the day youll match, and what it feel like knowing youre done with USMLEs!

thanks a lot for your advice dude ,i will but it into my consideration i wish you good luck in the exam . keep me updated and merry Christmas.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK