Poor Step 1, OK Step 2, OK Step 3

9/9/2012 10:50:25 AM
Again, this post is for those with a poor score on any Step component. I had a poor Step 1 score. Refer to my previous post at:

http://www.uworld.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=9865

Got my Step 3 score at midnight last Wednesday. Thanks to God's mercy I scored 221.

Exam experience
The exam was difficult. UWorld question difficulty was a tad lower than the actual exam but similar question topics came. I walked out of the exam feeling that there would be a chance that I would fail. Most of the questions came down to two answer choices which I had to blatantly guess. Time management was a critical factor, however, this was the first USMLE in which I was able to answer all of the questions. The CCS isn't difficult if you're a practising physician and if you're familiar with the software.

Exam Preparation
Total prep time was 4 months. During that time I worked at a hospital in my country, did an elective and then an observership.

The choice of books for Step 3 is very limited as compared to previous steps.
I used the following books:

1. Master the Boards (MTB) Step 3 - Easy to read, excellent coverage of basic CCS content but the MCQ content isn't broad.

2. First Aid (FA) for Step 3 - Easier for me to read because of the similar style in previous FA books. Covers more UWorld MCQ topics than MTB. However, it contains a lot of low yield information. CCS content was ok.

UWorld CCS practice cases were lifesaving.

Self-Assessment
Don't bother to use NBME as a score predictor. Form 1 - 390 (was upset after seeing this so I studied even more), Form 2 - 290 (I was shocked, I was seriously considering to defer the exam).

Scored 220 in the UWSA 10 days before the exam so I decided to take the exam.

In the final week, the stress and burnout was affecting me. I hadn't taken a break since I started USMLE prep in 2009. I had severe headaches when I attempted any studying. I lost 4 days of preparation in the final week. I prayed daily for success before and after my exam and God answered my prayer.

Again, the bottom line: Pray hard and study hard, as long as you put in the work, God will get you through. For most people these exams are a test of your faith, be strong.

I hope this post inspires others to persevere even when others tell you to give up and you feel depressed.

I'm praying that I'll get a match into Internal Medicine in 2013. Pray for me guys, I'd really appreciate it.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK