Need advice, PLEEEEEEASE.

2/8/2010 7:22:13 AM
I am an IMG, about to register for step 3, with a view to doing the exam at the end of May - I am dedicating the next 3 months to preparing. What is the best strategy?? I paid a deposit to Kaplan last year in order to lock into a discount on Step 3 prep and was thinking of paying the balance and starting the 3 month prep in a couple of weeks. I am beginning to have doubts as to whether this is the best way to go. (I can still get a refund so no worries there). Please, anyone, WHAT IS THE WINNING STRATEGY IF YOU ONLY HAVE 3 MONTHS AND ARE WILLING TO GIVE IT ALL YOU CAN???

2/8/2010 9:29:31 AM
Hello,
The good news is that you found this support online. You need to review the CCS and MCQ examples on UWorld. You also will benefit from a course which covers the RELEVANT material you MUST know for passing. This is from premier review live course. Therefore, to go to the premier review live course and go thru all the mcq and ccs examples on UWorld, needs at least 16 weeks. The bad news then is you need to budget more time and rechedule your test for 6 months time and then stick to your schedule. Three months is not enough for an IMG with no previous exposure to US style courses. This is not a failure but an opportuntity to reinvent yourself, to re-modify your knowldege, re-enhance your skills and re-adjust your attitude, to pass. Next live course is in new york rom feb 28 to mar 6.
You can start by paying for six months step 3 on UWorld and booking a place on the live course- because the course is now known to be effective and places will fill up fast. Residency programs are paying for residents to go and do this course to get their license. Next, you can start reviewing ccs cases and mcq releated to medical ethics and psychiatry. See how long it takes you to cover a case or block of mcq. Then you can estimate roughly how ong to read all, review the ones you made errors and then review the whole mcq/ccs for a second time. When you now go for the live course, then your resolve to pass will be elevated because you will know that you are on the right track. Good luck. Mari

2/8/2010 1:51:21 PM
Dear Mari & Surewill,
Thank you SO MUCH for your responses. Yes, I did study for Step 2, and did use KAPLAN so I still have my notes/books. Even though I'm not aiming for an H1 visa, I do have to do the exam before June because I did my Step 1 in June 2003 (recall: all exams must be done within a 7 year period).
In addition to U-world, I will certainly pick one of the books you recommended as well as look into the premier review or step123 CCS. Thanks again!

2/9/2010 12:38:46 AM
Hi, You are welcome. Just avoid doing too many things. Simplify. Once you set up your schedule and note how you are progressing - if you know that you will not have enough time to review thoroughly, please reschedule your test date. it is true that many state boards are asking for all steps to be completed in 7 years. However, you can still apply for a 'waiver of the seven year rule', depending on your circumstances, if it has taken you longer than 7 years to complete all three steps. In essence, you need to pass step 3 the first time, to avoid being demoralised. Passing at first attempt should be your priority. Good luck. Mari

2/23/2010 6:56:21 AM
Hi renaisamd,
I would certainly appreciate having a look at your schedule if you could share it - I appreciate it.
Thanks!

10/11/2010 2:11:48 PM
hi renaisamd,
i have read ur previous enlightening posts..

i am about to apply for step 3, wish to take it in December...am an IMG.
And i too beleive as u said tht 2.5 to 3 mnths is enough...
however i have some confusion abt the books to rely on and the practice schedule tht i should make...
I have done MTB, reading Crush and FA, then UW.
I request you to please share with me ur schedule tht u had mentioned in ur posts...and also would like to get ur valuable advice for me...
How long does UW take to complete and also review?

Thanks.

11/13/2010 4:04:29 PM
rere25197062 wrote:
dr.glo wrote:
I am an IMG, about to register for step 3, with a view to doing the exam at the end of May - I am dedicating the next 3 months to preparing. What is the best strategy?? I paid a deposit to Kaplan last year in order to lock into a discount on Step 3 prep and was thinking of paying the balance and starting the 3 month prep in a couple of weeks. I am beginning to have doubts as to whether this is the best way to go. (I can still get a refund so no worries there). Please, anyone, WHAT IS THE WINNING STRATEGY IF YOU ONLY HAVE 3 MONTHS AND ARE WILLING TO GIVE IT ALL YOU CAN???

3 months is more than enough time to prepare for STEP III. Just chose your study guides, make a schedule and stick with it. I can send you mine if you like and I did it in 2.5 months. UWorld has a harder and more thorough QBANK than Kaplan. I did UWorld and then used the QBOOK from KAPLAN and took the official practice test on USMLE website. Good luck!

HI
i am also planning to start studying for step 3.. i would appreciate it if u could share u r schedule with me. jus so i get an idea how it can be done within 3 months. if can also add the material u used apart from the ones mentioned it would be great.
thank u

11/25/2010 9:56:04 AM
Just read your post,and would like to hear your studying is coming. I have a university program that wants me to pass my step3 with a good score,for them to consider me,and im like taking the challenge head on, i dont want leave any stone unturned! Could we communicate and may be exchange notes so we see how we can ace this exam? please email me [email protected] Thanks
edited by kazana on 11/25/2010

11/25/2010 10:13:30 PM
@ rere25197062: Could you please share your schedule? I am scheduled to take Step 3 by the end of Dec, but i am planning to reschedule. I'd appreciate if you could share your schedule. Please write to [email protected]
Thanks!

11/30/2010 1:54:42 PM
Hi all this is amphi i am also ready to start studying for step 3 just need some partner with whom i can start studying infact planning how to study? if anyone interested please contact me at [email protected]

12/3/2010 2:28:41 AM
can u tel me wat is last date u can take step 3,if u wanna be eligible for 2011 match.do the results need to be out before december?
r u a post graduate or just a graduate?

12/3/2010 2:29:49 AM
can u tel me wat is last date u can take step 3,if u wanna be eligible for 2011 match.do the results need to be out before december?
r u a post graduate or just a graduate?

1/16/2011 9:21:30 AM
hi all ,just passed my step 2 ,just wanted yours advice which book is good for preparing for step 3 besides UWorld q bank,please guide me about it, how long does it take to get prepared for step 3.
edited by BUMA93954721 on 1/16/2011
what does MTB Sands for? is it the master the boards for step 3 by dr conrad fisher kaplan's one book?any advice please..............anybody answer

2/24/2011 1:20:18 AM
BUMA93954721 wrote:
hi all ,just passed my step 2 ,just wanted yours advice which book is good for preparing for step 3 besides UWorld q bank,please guide me about it, how long does it take to get prepared for step 3.
what does MTB Sands for? is it the master the boards for step 3 by dr conrad fisher kaplan's one book?any advice please..............anybody answer

MTB- Master The Boards by Fisher

2/25/2011 7:31:22 AM
Just waiting for STEP1 result and starting to investigate 2CK prep. Am wondering if i shud stuady for 2CK and 3 together since they are apparebtly so similar. Any opinions / thogughts???/

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK