should I take step 3? help please

3/23/2010 5:47:40 PM
Hi

I did not match this year, and i know the major reason is due to my multiple attempt for step 1 and step 2 ck. Feels like a dead end.

Would taking step 3 for the 1st time and passing, help my application for next year?

Thanks for your time.

4/16/2010 5:22:22 PM
Hello,
Step 1,2,and 3 are testing different dimensions of what clinical information you have. Many candidates take the exam once and pass at first attempt. Others are not so fortunate. In applying for residency training, you are competing with US trained doctors who have serious bills to pay. The hospitals and institutions that train them must take care of their own, first – to remain credible. If their graduates don’t get the residency program they want then the word will spread and that training institution will fail to recruit citizens. Infact there are political and economic pressures on the industry to train US docs to work in US hospitals. No state will want their doctors unemployed and collecting welfare check after taking huge loans to finance their education. Tax payers will not tolerate it.
Medical care in the US is therefore an industry, it is a serious business. It is regulated. When you look closely at the political issues then you will appreciate why an img may not match. On the other hand, there are many people who need health care. Demographically there is a shortage of doctors. By all means apply to the programs that you really want. By all means prepare to pass step 3 at first attempt. However, for many imgs, when you enter the social justice arena then you become competitive, as a resilient long distance traveller who may have suffered to get though the exam, you will actually appeal to those programs serving populations with low wealth, limited opportunity for leisure and possible high crime. Please check nrmp and fsmb to research which states allow multiple attempts to pass usmle steps AND which programs are unfilled i.e unpopular with US trained docs. Yes, you will be looking at leftovers. Once you have done this research you will likely find the programs that are not popular with US graduates are preliminary medicine and preliminary surgery.
It may be helpful to find a hospital/residency program near you that offers prelim positions and apply to do externship there (now). This will give you a chance o work with local attendings. Having worked hard at your externship, you may be fortunate to have local attendings give you references. Hopefully during externship you will calmly watch (without comment) what the residents are doing and what attitudes are considered desirable by attendings and others in the treatment team. Anyone could present certificates that they passed exam. What will make you different will be your attitude to self, to others (especially patients and their families) and to your work. This is what you will polish and reflect in your next interview. Your next round of interview should be more rewarding because you will be a known entity and more capable/ knowledgeable. You will know how to present yourself as a modest, hard working team player with skills. Hope UWorld will start a forum for externs soon. Good luck! Mari

5/3/2010 2:00:27 AM
Thanks to both of you for taking the time and writing in response to my concern.

Best wishes.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK