IMG Step 3 experience

8/17/2015 9:18:45 PM
I just got my results last Wednesday and would like to share my experience with other IMGs (and US students as well).
I consider my self an OMG (Old Medical Graduate - 1998!). I moved to the US 3 years ago and took my usmle steps in the last 2.

Regarding Step 3, I would like to advise IMGs that this was NOT (imho) the easiest of the Steps. Probably my fault, but let me tell you that the CCS must be practiced a lot, if you don't have US clinical experience. I did only the computer based cases from UW and my performance wasn't that brilliant. Do all the written cases and, if you feel the need, find some book that helps you with the CCS.

The first day, we all agree, is the toughest. A lot of long stem questions (I usually read the last line to understand what they will ask me form the ton of information provided), a lot of abstracts and advertisements with the "open-advertisement-close-advertisement-read -question-open-advertisement-answer-question" routine. Tip: read all the questions before reading the advertisement, some basic science (mostly receptor stuff).
The second day, if you took Step 2CK (the easiest step, I think) close top Step 3, is so smooth you will feel they're tricking you. Then, the CCS (look above).

My study plan (I just needed a score to pass):

1.No reading.
2. UW - I answered all the questions, except Biostat (got really good notes from Step 1) and Psychiatry (I took this decision for both Steps 2CK and 3, because it was literally driving me nuts). Tutor mode, utimed, my score was 63%.
3. CCS 51 cases from UW.

Final score 205. All my performance was above average, except for the CCS cases (bellow average, with the *).

Take home points: study hard, take Step 3 the closest you can to 2CK, don't mess with the CCS but... even if you do (like I did), remember there's hope.

My other scores: 211, 237

Good luck, and may the force be with you!
edited by on 8/17/2015
edited by on 8/17/2015
edited by on 8/17/2015

10/14/2015 6:06:54 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the interesting post. Can you please forward me materials/notes you have for step3.
Any help would be appreciated.

10/15/2015 8:49:24 PM
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience with us. Did you take the UWorld assessment exam and if so, how did you do with that, please? Were your CCS cases mostly Emergency room or office cases?

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK