How good or bad is 244 on step 1?

1/21/2016 2:06:44 AM
I got my score today. Disappointed as I was aiming for 250.. especially because I am an IMG.
I want to know what are my chances or how bad is 244? I know its above average but is it good enough considering averages for all specialties is increasing...

2/14/2016 2:45:52 AM
That depends on the speciality you are aiming for. That is by any means a great score. Im an IMG and would jump with joy if i had the similar score. The outcome of the match depends on multiple parameters and those parameters are unique to each speciality. Dont get me wrong, Usmle scores are the most important parameter for you to get selected but comment on your desired speciality to discuss about your odds. All the best!
edited by on 2/14/2016

2/14/2016 8:50:39 AM
Sunilrkolli wrote:
That depends on the speciality you are aiming for. That is by any means a great score. Im an IMG and would jump with joy if i had the similar score. The outcome of the match depends on multiple parameters and those parameters are unique to each speciality. Dont get me wrong, Usmle scores are the most important parameter for you to get selected but comment on your desired speciality to discuss about your odds. All the best!
edited by on 2/14/2016

I appreciate your reply.
I am planning for surgery/peds/gynec. I will begin my clinical rotation in a month so will probably match in 2018. I agree multiple factors play a role in the match process.
Just trying my best and hope it works out.

2/14/2016 9:26:50 AM
Great! Surgery and Ob/gyn are competitive specialities and requires more than good scores, like clerkships in respective fields for more than 6months upto 1 year to get good LORs and show commitment to your chosen fields or research in a surgical department. Imo, your score is good enough for those specialities and try to get an even better score in your step 2 ck and pass CS in the first attempt. Don't overlook CS which many people do and fail but for surgical specialities USCE, good LORs along with good scores like yours will do and if you have a Green card or US citizenship it is an icing on the cake!
Coming to Paeds it is imo 'relatively' less competitive and couple of months of USCE and good LORs should do and your step 1 score is just perfect for that I think.
Anyway I'm not an expert and this is my 2 cents and hope this answers your doubts. All the best!
Im a 2016 graduate and yet to give my step 1 in Sept/Oct this year and a US permanent resident with a family and friends full of practicing physicians in USA and all the information I have is through them and not from my own endeavors!.

4/5/2016 1:16:05 AM
My score is 244 and I am an IMG too but I am satisfied with it, and I was planning for Internal Medicine, In fact Peds or OB/GYN you can get. So a score of 244 for me is good enough, and for me I believe its a decent score for a preparation of less than 7 months.
So just chill.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK