Please Help! 2 weeks til Step 3

10/15/2010 8:46:09 PM
I really need some advice. I am an IMG. Graduated 2008. No residency in past two years.

4 attempts at STEP 1 with final passing score of 187/76
1 attempt at STEP 2 CK 187/76
1 attempt at STEP 2 CS Pass

I have Step 3 scheduled for October 29th, 2010 and i don't know if I should take it or not.

Kaplan qbank was in 70's
UWorld 50% completed with a score of 56% so far
NBME 1 month ago was equivalent to 177 three digit USMLE score
UWorld Simulation yesterday was 410/194 equivalent. with
block 1 39%
block 2 41%
block 3 41%
block 4 45%

I just want to know if it is a good decision to take it if I am not for sure in the passing range. I haven't place a residency in 2 years and this is my third year applying. I don't know what to do. I have started a Masters program in Public Health and volunteered at different hospitals but nothing seems to be helping. Someone said to take the STEP 3 and that would help. but i have pushed it back already to the last date possible which is the 29th of October.

10/19/2010 10:38:22 AM
Hello Clint,

I'm also preparing for Step 3, so I can sympathize.

Of course, do what you feel is right for you in the end, but I think you may like to take a bit more time and review your material even more. I'm getting tired myself, and I've delayed my exam a few times already. But also, you want to go in to step 3 very focused and relaxed as much as possible. Cover your material over and over again until you feel you can't do anymore, that you have covered all your bases. Then go and take your exam with confidence that you have done all that you could do, and your absolute best. The rest, after that, is not in your hands. But, I do think that we can control when we take our exam and how ready and confident we feel before it.

I don't think you want to look back and say to yourself I wish I had taken a bit more time.......

In the grand scheme of things, one more month or so wouldn't hurt, especially if you pass Step 3 on the first shot.

I hope this helps you a bit. Take some time and think what will work for you and go do whatever you need to do with confidence.

best wishes, sincerely

10/20/2010 2:50:36 PM
Thank you LadyCanuck,

I have a few more days to decide. I would have to re-apply for the exam since i have no more extension time. i guess i have to decide in the next couple days. Thank you for your help and taking time to give me some advice. I appreciate it so much.

pages: 1

We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn More
   I Accept