step 3 material

4/6/2011 2:36:09 PM
Hi everybody,

I am a newly graduated IMG and planning to take Step 3 at the end of the July or August. I took my CK exam last May with 235/96 and i only studied kaplan lecture notes, first aid and UWorld questions twice..

Do you think that 3 or 4 month enough for the exam? Which material should i use to study? Since i am a fresh graduate i don't have enough experience in clinics, is it a disadvantage for step3?

Many thanks for your reply..

Good luck to everyone

4/7/2011 5:08:13 PM
any response?

4/8/2011 12:29:06 AM
Hi, I think 3 - 4 months are more than enough.
To be honest I failed twice on Step 3.
My biggest mistake was I didn't take seriously the CCS part.
I'm an IMG. I've graduated far too long ago.
I tried doing it two times for two months, it didn't work.
My advice would be, just MEMORIZE as many clinical scenarios as you can.
The UW ones are pretty useful, you'll have at least 3 - 4 of them on the real exam.
What I'd do on my next attempt would be - to make a list of 5 - 7 diagnostic cases on every specialty, and work them out as a CCS. Just like Myocardial infarction, threatened abortion, cystitis, breast cancer, etc...See, there are always some really preferred cases that appear over and over. The more you got covered, the less likely you'd be surprised on the exam.
Regarding the MCQs - just like Step 2 CK. But more from the point of view of a General Practitioner, i.e. prevention, prevention, prevention. Know the rates of all illnesses like cancers, bowel diseases, cardiology etc.
Follow some of the other fora ( like www.usmleforum.com). There are good people sharing some knowledge there.
Sources: Kaplan Step 3 Lectures 2010, online UW, kaplan if you have time and money...
I'll be starting my preparation soon. So, we might keep in touch. [email protected].
BTW, I was a licensed psychiatrist back in Europe, before I came here, in US.
Good luck.

4/8/2011 1:44:00 PM
thank you so much for your advice.

it's good to hear that 3 or 4 month is enough because i want to clear it before september..

good luck with you exam too..

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK