253/99: No hard and fast rule!!

9/30/2011 11:31:20 AM
Hi all,
I got a lot of information from this forum on preparations others took for their exams. So it is only honourable I do the same.

Prepared for about 5 non-continuous months. Was either going to school full time + working part-time OR working full time so I had about 2 hours daily weekdays and 6 to 8 hours over the weekends.

Read Kaplan notes first which took about 3 months. Very good materials I must say.
Then read first aid once which I didn't find really useful. Dropped it after then. Took about 3 weeks
I used UWORLD for 6 weeks (very useful resource). Did about 95% of the questions just once. My average score was about 76-78% (can't remember for sure)

A week to my exam, ,my score for UWORLD SA was 252/99. Good correlation with my final score.

Exam- Many more questions are longer than UWORLD questions. A lot of internal medicine questions. The drug ad and abstract are quite easy you just have to budget extra time for them.

BOTTTOM-LINE: there is no magic book, no hard and fast rules. Learn from the experience of others and modify to suite your style. That was the most useful piece of advice I got from a friend and I am sharing it with you all.Good luck!!

9/30/2011 3:54:29 PM
Heythere,

Congrats.

Could you share your mode of doing UW..did you do it mixed blocks of 44Q or topic-wise, especially towards the last leg of your prep??

Thanks.

9/30/2011 3:56:45 PM
Also,

did you take any NBMEs? If yes which one correlated most?

Thanks

9/30/2011 4:34:28 PM
No, I did not use NBME.

I started UWORLD topic-wise for the first 2 to 3 weeks. Then the last 3 weeks were mixed. And always timed mode.

9/30/2011 4:52:31 PM
Hey, Congratulation...
I am IMG and looking for passing mark only( No need for high scores). I am trying to do the UW only without the FA....Do you think this will be enough?
Thanks

9/30/2011 8:11:02 PM
The final decision is up to you and depends on your study preference. Personally I didn't find FA for step 2 CK useful

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn More
   I Accept